Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,545,991   Online: 984

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=donbga;377008]
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jarosz View Post
    A concentrated solution of lye or sodium hydroxide (about 10%) will do the trick. No need to mess with sulfuric or dichromate. It may take a bit of soaking. But unless there is something special about the glass I would toss it and start fresh - a more effiient use of your time and money.
    I use standard tray cleaning dichromate/acid solution that I make up from an old formula. If you are doing a one-time quick cleaning, then lye is acceptable, but don't leave it in the solution overly long.

Some glasses are not subject to this, for example the good labware glass we use is immune to this for the most part (pyrex), but window glass is very prone to the problem. I use a glass bottle for my 5% sodium hydroxide solution and the glass is quite milky on this cheaper glass dropper.

As for images remaining behind, I never heard of it, but I guess it is possible if sliver metal gets depositied on the glass somehow. Maybe that is why old-timers use the acid dichromate method, as it removes silver deposits that the alkali will not deal with.

If you need ground glass for your camera though, Dave Parker from Satinsnow will custom make you one for a very reasonable price.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    [QUOTE=Photo Engineer;377036]
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga View Post
    If you need ground glass for your camera though, Dave Parker from Satinsnow will custom make you one for a very reasonable price.
    PE
    I tried SS but Dave says he cannot get acceptable glass this thin.

John

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I am raised with using millimeters, so I had to convert 0.065" so get an idea of how thick that was (1.651 mm). So, armed with my micrometer I went out to the bench and had a look. The leftover groundglass is 2.35 mm, but the glass I had from some abandoned picture frame is 1.85 mm (0.072 inch), so I don't think you should give up just yet on finding some glass.

BTW, I am not really into Hasselblad stuff, but am I right in that is two parts - one plastic fresnel and one ground glass part? For what model? Maybe I can source it over here.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
    BTW, I am not really into Hasselblad stuff, but am I right in that is two parts - one plastic fresnel and one ground glass part? For what model? Maybe I can source it over here.
    You are correct, there are two parts: a typical groundglass and a fresnel.

It is called "Focusing Screen Adapter" Cat # 41025. Designed for the SWC, but it will fit on the rear of any Hasselblad.

Regards,

john

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    There is one at B&H for $69, with that part number.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Large Format
    Actually not a bad price. That may be the cheapest solution. Thanks

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The thinnest glass I can get that is acceptable for grinding is 1.94mm thick, most picture frame glass actually is not flat and has waves in it, using picture frame glass, unless the high dollar museum glass is not normally acceptable in this type of application, believe me, if it is glass, we have looked at it and tried to see how it would turn out...that is why I have the glass made for my application, but if I were to do a run of glass for one project like this, the cost factor would be hugh and not economically feasable, it sounds like the B&H route might be your best bet.

Dave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin