Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,533   Posts: 1,572,697   Online: 850

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    P.E.

1) this is fascinating; and
    2) where did you get the picture of my Dad in his late 20s (maybe it's the "Kodak look").

Matt
    Matt;

It is my uncle who went to Brooks and who got me into photography.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guys;

It can be done. The emulsion takes about 1 hour to make with 4 ingredients including distilled water. The final melted emulsion adds up to 2 more ingredients depending on contrast, plus hardener and surfactant. The emulsion keeps for 6 months in the refrigerator if you add Thymol as a preservative. The coatings have kept for weeks.

This is doable by anyone. It uses methods from the 40s.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does your emulsion have the 3-D look that I was able to get from Azo? I have an Azo print hanging in my office. I bring in prints I've made on other papers to look at them in average room light, but the Azo print hangs on the wall and mocks the other papers' lack of 3-D.

Thanks for all your hard work.
    juan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nice work PE. I would interested in seeing how the baryarta prints look...
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    WONDERFUL!

I wish I could get to Montana to take your workshop this summer, but I am already scheduled somewhere else that week. Do yu plan to publish your work in some form? I believe many of us would willingly purchase the information.

Jim
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by juan View Post
    Does your emulsion have the 3-D look that I was able to get from Azo? I have an Azo print hanging in my office. I bring in prints I've made on other papers to look at them in average room light, but the Azo print hangs on the wall and mocks the other papers' lack of 3-D.

Thanks for all your hard work.
    juan
    Juan, you would have to get the opinion of some experts in Azo. I doubt it though as I cannot get the Azo paper support.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I plan on publishing all of the work. I have some problems facing me.

1. I need one more grade of enlarging paper. I can only get grades from 0 - 2. I cannot get a grade 3.

2. I cannot get a repeatable film emulsion. It varies in fog and contrast and that is probably due to the ammonia digest. There are ways around this, but so far my attempts have failed. I also need more speed. I'm working on a high iodide emulsion at the present time which does not use ammonia.

3. I'm tweaking the Azo formula to improve results.

4. I'm tweaking surfactant to reduce coating defects. So far, it can run as high as 50% on baryta and watercolor, but I want less than 10% which is what I get on the Strathmore Smooth. My average on baryta with a custom formula is about 90% good stuff, and the same with watercolor, but I don't want to have a formula for every paper support.

Thats about it.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by avandesande View Post
    Nice work PE. I would interested in seeing how the baryarta prints look...
    I have one ready now.

If you look closely, you will see the minute dots and imperfections typical of quite a few baryta coatings. I have a very good enlarging paper example, but this one is good because it is the soft grade emulsion, but on baryta.

This paper will require a slight modification to the coating formula to optimize the result.

The benefit is greater sharpness and a bit more percieved contrast due to the whiter support.

PE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails print contrasat soft baryta.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Please, I am not looking for kudos, but rather I'm trying to prove that analog photography is not dead and you can do it yourself.

PE

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I have coated it on 4 types of paper. Strathmore Smooth, Vellum, Watercolor and Glossy Baryta. Difficulty increases in the order given, but sharpness is in the order Watercolor, Vellum, Smooth, Baryta in increasing order.
    With your "blade" coating method, how do you achieve even coating of the textured surface?
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin