Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,485   Online: 1076

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ortho dye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Probably yes. Not having done the experiment, I have no idea.

You would have to make 2 sensitized emulsions, 1 green and 1 red for this to work properly though.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting, PE. Would they them be mixed and coated, or coated atop one another?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Either way could be used, but for quality sake I suggest that they be mixed 1:1 and coated in 1 layer for a start. However, proper testing would require a spectrosensitometer or a very special step wedge sensitive to a variety of colors. I have such a design, but it is rather messy to build and calibrate. I do have a spectrosensitometer available to me though, so if I can help....

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This summer I plan to start really experimenting with emulsion making. My eventual goal is to get something that can be useful for my autochrome project.

The one thing that's been keeping me from really starting experiments is the cost of silver nitrate; but if I can get up $200 or so to buy a pound of it, I have a feeling that that'll last me awhile.

I've been looking around for a list of prices and sources of things. Where's a good place to find erythrosine?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try this:

www.kyantec.com

They have it but it is unlisted. It is about $20 / gram.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good to know. And from their site, they seem to be willing to sell to anyone. Do you know offhand if they have other dyes as well?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    AFAIK, they do not. Kodak listed about 20 dyes in their Eastman Chemicals catalog at one time but they are discontinued. Other sources are drying up and the dyes I have are not very good. Broad, form "J" type aggregates and etc....

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm

Probably the best idea to start simply though. If only silver nitrate wasn't so damn expensive.

Somebody should see if there are enough people to go in on a bulk purchase of silver nitrate. From B&H, it only ends up being like 66 cents / gram if you buy a pound, and I bet it could be had for cheaper elsewhere. In smaller amounts its like 2 or 3 times that ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin