Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,509   Online: 968

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ortho dye

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Images

ortho dye

Hi all,

what can I add to my emulsion to make it sensitive to yellow? Many thanks.

richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Richard, that would not be an ortho dye, it would end up making a pan sensitive film.

I have no idea where to get such a dye. It would be blue in color. I have been unable to get one.

An ortho dye is magenta in color. The least expensive would be Erythrosine, but it depends on how you want to use it and the emulsion type.

PE

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Images

Would it change the film sensitivity?

Would the Erythrosine give any change to sensitivity? Also, thyocianate without the gold salts, would it cause increase sensitivity? Many thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Erythrosine adds sensitivity to green light.

I would use sodium thiosulfate instead of thiocyanate. This will cause an increase in about 2 contrast grades and up to 3 or 4 stops in speed, but the time and temperature must be determined for each emulsion.

PE

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Images
    Thanks heaps! Other thing, I found out that Eosin was also added to emulsions to change their sensitivity. I have yellowish eosin that is used in microscopy, could I use that? Also, I have some ripened emulsion frozen (uncoated), could I mix both of eosin and the tiosulfate to it now? It's also washed. Many thanks again!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Eosin, being yellow, is a sensitizer to blue light and is a weak sensitizer IIRC.

It will add no really noticable difference to the speed of the emulsion, nor any significant change to the spectral sensitivity, as the emulsion is already blue sensitive.

The sequence is outlined in another post in more detail, but basically you add the hypo, with or without gold, hold at a predetermined temperature for a predetermined time. I am using 1 hour at 60 degrees C. for my emulsions, but that may vary.

After this, you add the dye at 40 deg C and hold for 15 minutes. That is the usual sequence.

However, if it is premade by a manufacturer, there may already be dye on the emulsion, or it may have restrainers in it to prevent the action of the addition of hypo. If it is already treated with hypo, further treatment will fog it, in all probability.

I have posted elsewhere, that freezing an emulsion will ruin it in most all cases. It disrupts the action of the gelatin by denaturing it and will often cause very bad results.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've read about Pinacyanol Chloride being used to sensitize emulsions in some cases. What color does this sensitize them to?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Without having a spectrogram of the dye, and I can't remember the color, all I can say is that it would sensitize in the region opposite to its color.

This is a general rule, so a yellow dye is a blue sensitizer and a magenta dye is a green sensitizer, and a cyan dye is a red sensitizer. This rules out "J" aggregates which shift sensitization by about 100 nanometers to longer wavelengths. So with "J" aggregates, a magenta dye would be a red sensitizer. It will turn cyan when added to the emulsion by aggregating.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by htmlguru4242 View Post
    I've read about Pinacyanol Chloride being used to sensitize emulsions in some cases. What color does this sensitize them to?
    Red.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah. Then, could it be used in combination with erythrosine to achieve panchromatic sensitivity?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin