Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,011   Online: 862

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6101112131415161718 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    TiO2 is quite light sensitive and can be spectrally sensitized. It also has a rather broad sensitivity to radiation and can capture radiation outside of the visible region.

Images captured with TiO2 are usually printed using digital means and thus this material is outside of our scope here.

Kodak had a full color system based on TiO2 in the '70s.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it's this thread, several posts back, in which Bob Crowley brings up photovoltaic-cell dyes.

It's interesting to go back to the 1st post and look at the Eastman Kodak Chemicals list that PE posted; several of those dyes are in the historic literature. It also has the chemical structures of some of the dyes, i.e. Orthochrome T.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Just as an FYI, Ethyl Red (off the OP list) is available at Alfa Aesar http://www.alfa.com/en/GP100w.pgm?DS...CAS=76058-33-8 for a fairly reasonable price. The nice lady who got back to me told me that shipping ought to be about $10.

They will only ship to a business address.
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Also, the second one on the list, 1,1'-Diethyl-2,2'-carbocyanine iodide is available from Alfa Aesar as well http://www.alfa.com/en/gp100w.pgm?dsstk=H31540. That one looks like an infrared dye according to the list.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Is Rhodamine B good for anything? It certainly is cheap enough. OK, I'm done. That company does seem to source a number of interesting looking items off that list, or things that look very close, but not being a chemist I cannot say if they are any good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, in fact the holographers mention that rhodamine b is a green sensitizer, so it must be worth considering.

My thinking is that pinacyanol chloride is the ideal red sensitizer to start looking at. It sounds like Denise is experimenting with that, and by some accounts it should be a good, deep red sensitizer.

One of the papers in that word file suggests that it's not "a good panchromatic dye" because it has little sensitivity in the green and futhermore doesn't interact well with certain green sensitizers. However, they're looking at it from the perspective of bath sensitization, and also astronomy. For them, they don't need balanced panchromaticity, just continuous sensitization throughout the visible light band, no matter what strength. From there they can use their filters and apply generous filter factors. So perhaps pinacyanol is too spikey for them, which might in fact be good in a panchromatic/red-sensitive emulsion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chris;

Why not discuss this with Paul Gilman the next time you visit Rochester.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can bet that I will Ron!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Getting down to brass tacks...

Pinacyanol (chloride) = 1,1'-Diethyl-2,2'-carbocyanine chloride [CAS #: 2768-90-3], a.k.a. quinaldine blue

Orthochrome T = 1,1'-Diethyl-6,6'-dimethyl-2,3'cyanine Iodide

Pinaflavol (pinaflavole) = 2-(p-Dimethylaminostyryl)-1-ethylpyridinium Iodide [CAS #: 3785-01-1]

Ethyl Red = 1,1'-Diethyl-2,4'-cyanine Iodide [CAS #: 634-21-9]

Eosin Y = 2',4',5',7'-Tetrabromofluorescein (sodium salt) or 2,4,5,7-Tetrabromo-9-(o-carboxyphenyl)-6-hydroxy-3H-xanthen-3-one Disodium salt (CI# 45380), a.k.a. Acid Red 87

Erythrosine B = 2',4',5',7'-Tetraiodofluorescein (sodium salt) or 9-(o-Carboxyphenyl)-6-hydroxy-2,4,5,7-tetraiodo-3H-xanthen-3-one Disodium salt (CI# 45430), a.k.a. Acid Red 51

Neocyanine = 1,1'-Diethyl-11-(4-quinolyl ethiodide)-4,4'dicarbocyanine Iodide

Kryptocyanine (cryptocyanine) = 1,1'-Diethyl-4,4'-carbocyanine Iodide

Acridine Orange = 3,6-Bis(dimethylamino)acridine Hydrochloride (CI# 46005), a.k.a. Basic Orange 14

Benzopurpurine 4B = 3,3'-[3,3'-Dimethyl-4,4'-biphenylyne-bis(azo)]bis[4-amino-1-naphthalene sulfonic acid] Disodium Salt (CI# 23500), a.k.a. Direct Red 2

Congo Red = 3,3'-[4,4'-Biphenylyne-bis(azo)]bis[4-amino-1-naphthalene sulfonic acid] Disodium salt (CI# 22120), a.k.a. Direct Red 28

The following are all from Ron's list in post #1, but they don't have a colloquial name (if you know one, do share!). Copying here for searchability:

(Peak Absorbance 710nm) = 1,1'Diethyl-2,2'-dicarbocyanine Iodide

(Peak Absorbance 668nm) = 3-Ethyl-2-[5-(3-ethyl-2-benzothiazolinylidene)-1,3-pentadienyl]-benzothiazolium Iodide

(Peak Absorbance 650nm) = 1-Ethyl-2-[3-(1-ethylnaphtho)[1,2d]-thiazolin-2-ylidine)-2-methylpropenyl]naptho[1,2d]-thiazolium Bromide or 4,5,4',5'-Dibenzo-3,3'-diethyl-9-methylthiacarbocyanine Bromide

(Peak Absorbance 522nm) = 1,1'-Diethyl-2,2'-cyanine Iodide [CAS #: 977-96-8], a.k.a. pseudocyanine iodide, pseudoisocyanine iodide

(Other) = 2',7'-Dichlorofluorescein or 9.(o-Carboxyphenyl)-2,7-dichloro-6-hydroxy-3H-xanthen-3-one Disodium Salt

(Other) = 5-(p-Dimethylaminobenzylidene) rhodanine [CAS# 536-17-4], EK catalog says rhodamine, but the internet would suggest otherwise...

I'm thinking that in addition to sensitizers, we've got a great list of baby names here...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I did know a guy named "Congo" Red in Jr. High. And now that I think about it, he had a sister named Ethyl!!
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin