Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,456   Posts: 1,570,573   Online: 858

Page 1 of 18 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Spectral sensitizing dyes

I have had so many people asking me about spectral sensitization that I have scanned the Kodak catalog from 1971, Catalog #46 listing their recommended dyes.

They are no longer available from Kodak but represent a cross section of usable dyes for emulsion work.

PE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sensitizing dyes.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, PE; that's going to be quite helpful. Its interesting that a few of the dyes in the "other" section are used as either indicators or biological marker dyes. Im interested that Congo Red is on the list; that stuff is quite inexpensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have said before that Erythrosine is not the worlds best sensitzing dye, but it is inexpensive. I think that you will find that dyes on the 'other' list are not very good either, but that they do work.

Best of luck.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sellers such as this fellow, billythec on eBay intrigue me with the possibility that normally expensive & rare spectral sensitizing dyes might show up for cheap.

He has a number of dyes from Eastman Organics, search "eastman", in addition to just a ton of other stuff. I haven't done it yet, but someone should cross-check the above list against his inventory.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I searched about 1/2 of those pages and found no sensitizing dyes. Also, some of the prices are quite good but others are out of sight. Please note that factory sealed bottles are marked as sealed, but others presumably have been opened.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks PE. Sorry if I sent you on a wild goose chase. That guy has a 10lb. bag of Potassium Dichromate though, if you'd like...

I think I'd consider that a "life-time supply"

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    And Don't forget PE's Suggestion of SDA 3057 and SDE3008.For red and green senitivity,respectively. The SDE3057, is kinda tricky, but works.SDE is straight forward. And WELCOME to the World of handling chemicals and mixers with only IR to see by!
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wild Bill, have you successfully made some panchro emulsions? Would love to hear some details!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Holmburger,
    I have made some emulsions which are sensitive to red,green and blue. I have made no atempt yet to balance the sensitivity, so that the three sensitivites are equal. My choice of sensitizing vdyes is following PE's recomendation. He has a post on a thread that goes back more than a year. Basicly There is a red dye that is sensitive to green light and a red dye that turns cyan in the pressence of iodine. I add 10mg of KI/mole of Ag, let it stir for 15 minutes then add 150mg dye. The emulsion turns cyan. The dye is called SDA3057, but I forgot the name of the supplier. It is in my notes and in PE's original post. But I cannot remember, off hand. These dyes are in methanol in my fridg. The green sensitive dye is added at 100mg/mole Ag. It is called SDE3008. It is a red - magenta dye and remains that color in the emulsion. The optimum concentration of SDA 3057 will depend on your grain size. But PE has explained all this in his post, better than I can. The dyes are pricey! $150/gram + a "curtosy fee". Basicly, you must spit a batch of blue-sensitive (no dyes) emulsion into 3 parts. One part contains no dy One contains the SDE3008, the other the SDA3008. Then you combine the 3 parts in equal amounts. Taking a shot of a KODAK color chart in openshade, outdoors, indicates that this vaproach is fairly balanced already.
    I worke in total darkness, wearing a Generation 1 Night Vision monacle. These go for about $250 on ebay. Being a monacle,depth perception is screwy. I have poured many emulsions on the floor, trying to hit the glass plate. But now I use Meyer rods. This is the easiest way (for me) to coat plates. You can get these for about $30, brand new.
    I hope this helps, but do search for PE's post on this subject.
    Bill

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Obviously, I made a mistake, I meant so say that 1/3 contains SDA3057; 1/3 contains/SDE3008; one third no dye.

Page 1 of 18 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin