Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,004   Online: 893

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    DO NOT USE CALOMEL!!!!

I forgot this in the above post on Silver Sulfide. Sorry.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    If you are precipitating AgCl and use an AgBr electrode, you will end up with either a bare silver electrode or an AgCl electrode with some AgBr in your emulsion.
    Right, I was thinking about bromide as the main halide... and didn't consider a primarily chloride emulsion. It does get complicated.

That's perhaps why the more modern commercial silver ion electrodes don't have an exposed silver electrode. See http://www.thermo.com/com/cda/produc...,15071,00.html

They also can be bought with built in reference half-cells. But man, they are spendy! On the order of $600.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, with mixed halides it becomes even more difficult. That is why you do not measure pX or pBr or vX etc.. The silver ion is more representative as to what is in the kettle or going on than the halide is.

It is often best to use a bare billet and let it equillibrate. Our production billets were about one to two meters long and about 10 cm in diameter. They used a power lift to move it around. This would probably keep one of us in luxury for the rest of our life!

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Our production billets were about one to two meters long and about 10 cm in diameter.
    At two meters, I figure that's about 363 pounds of silver, or about $58,000!

I guess if you wanted to save some money, you could make it hollow...
    Last edited by Kirk Keyes; 12-10-2008 at 12:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin