Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,043   Online: 1189

Thread: fogging problem

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Images

fogging problem

Hi all,

after getting relatively nice results on my first try, my second batch of emulsion (just the normal basic emulsion + Na tiosulfate gave very low contrast and lot's of gray were it should not be, including unexposed sections. Don't think the fogging happen at the sensitising phase as i tried the gelatin in a piece of paper and there was some considerable grays in unexposed gel. I did 3 different things this time compared to the 1st time, the AgNO3 was older (but it did not appear darker than the other one I used), it was added slower and I use the Na tiosulfate. My developer is D19, normal concentration for films (and ilford Hypan fixer). any suggestions in how to improve the contrast? Many many thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sodium thiosulfate can increase speed, fog and contrast. It must be added after the emulsion is precipiated and digested. The hypo solution is added and the emulsion is heated to 60 degrees C for a specific time, determined in advance on samples of this emulsion. The quantity and time vary for each grain size emulsion and halide type and must be determined by experiment.

I have described this elsewhere in more detail.

PE

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Images
    Thanks! but do you think the old AgNO3 can be a problem? Also, is it a problem to use d19 in normal concentration? Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, and no, everything else considered.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin