Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,492   Posts: 1,571,343   Online: 804

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How color film actually looks

Here are photo micrographs of actual color films.

One compares film to a human hair, and the other shows film before and after processing.

In the before and after process photos, you can see the silver grains in one and not in the other, and you can also see the change in the layers.

Again, I am indebted to my friend, Dr. Bruce Kahn for permission to use these photos.

You can see from the size of the hair in comparison to the thickness of the film layers why I have likened photo engineering to designing a biological system, as we are working on the scale of cellular structures or smaller, when we build and examine film.

PE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cross section and hair.jpg   cross section.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks PE,

Those are a 10 on my neatstuffometer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So the yellow layer...before processing it looks quite diffreren than the magenta or cyan...yes?
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE
    I was told many years ago (I think by my Kodak rep.)That your colour films are coated wet on wet with as many as 20 layers. Does that seem right? technically, what an amazing challenge to produce. I worked for a diazo coater many years ago so have a slight clue.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does the "before processing" means "after silver development, but before color developer," given the visible grains?
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Those are a 10 on my neatstuffometer.
    That would be a coolness factor of 1000 milliFonzies!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is fascinating stuff!
    I've looked at film under my microscope, and the grain structure is fascinating.
    I'll have to try a bit on edge, and see if I can see the layers.
    Any idea what mag these are at?

Anyone got a spare microtome?
    Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In answer to the questions above, the yellow layer is usually the coarsest grained, fastest of all emulsions, and yes, Kodak coats up to 20 or so layers at one time in a single pass. I believe that my max was 14 or so.

You have to remember that this is also at very high speed, probably 3x faster than most of the industry standards, and orders of magnitude faster than many 3rd tier companies.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not sure what the correct metric is....feet per second? How fast can those lines run?
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry, I would rather not discuss actual figures on the speed.

PE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin