Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,716   Online: 915

Shooter
    Medium Format

storage of finished emulsion

Hello PE,

Is there a "shelf life" to a batch of finished emulsion? What would be the best way of storing a batch of finished emulsion for later use without damaging it?

Thanks,

Bob Mazzullo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the emulsion is not stabilzed with Thymol to prevent the growth of bacteria and mold, then its life is very short indeed.

If stabilzed, it will last quite a while. I have had the raw emulsions that I make last at least 6 months in a refrigerator.

But, a 'finished' emulsion implies to me that you have added sulfur or sufur + gold senstitzation. We usually sensitized emulsions this way prior to use, and added stabilzers as the raw emulsion keeping goes down after sulfur or sulfur + gold addition.

See my previous posts on this process.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Browsing around some old posts to rehearse all this information...

Indeed, the emulsions don't keep too well without thymol.

However, I would like to ask if I can stabilize the emulsion with thymol just after the noodle wash, that is, BEFORE the finishing steps---does it affect the sulfur(+gold) sensitization step? Or should I make the sulfur sensitization first and then add thymol as the last addition before storing for coating?
    Last edited by hrst; 09-05-2010 at 10:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can store both before and after the sulfur or sulfur + gold sensitization steps. We did both at EK depending on time of day and schedule. I have now kept an emulsion with thymol for 1 year. It will vary from emulsion to emulsion.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you again for your help!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Once again, awesome stuff. I've got a batch that has been sitting in a fridge for 2 months that was treated with Thymol.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I now have a sample of a better preservative (actually two of them) that might help. Unfortunately, it was preserved with copper which hurts emulsions.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin