Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,583,034   Online: 923

Shooter
    Multi Format

Emulsion making advice for 16mm film

Hi everyone,
    As my final project in my filmmaking course at hampshire college I've decided to try to create my own 16mm film stock.
    I have no prior experience in this area or in chemistry, but I've been doing a lot of research this week to try and find a recipe that would translate best to this project. I had first planned on using the recipe from unblinkingeye (http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Emulsion/emulsion.html) but then I found this website alternative photography which claimed a much higher ASA. But I don't really want to order his gelatin and I'm looking to finish this project by my final class, May 3rd. I discovered this forum tonight and I've read a lot about different emulsions thanks to Photo Engineer's expertise. I've seen a lot of referencing to the SRAD recipe in the thread titled "A real formula". Would this be the best recipe to start with?
    So as for some tips I'm specifically looking for: If there are better/easier/more relevant recipes, please post here. What is the easiest, most feasible way to boost the ASA? How can I make the film strong enough to not destroy any camera it runs through? Should I bleach already shot film or should I use regular leader? Now as a beginner I don't expect to get perfect results and a crystal clear image my first try. My major goal would be to get some recognizable image without having to run the camera frame by frame. I don't care if I shoot slower than 24fps. If the film turns out to be too fragile to run through an expensive bolex, I was considering working on super 8, I wouldn't care about destroying a cheap super 8 camera. Problem with that is I haven't found a way to reload a cartridge without breaking it.
    The chemical supplier that I've been considering using is www.artcraftchemicals.com Does anyone have experience with them, is their silver nitrate and "gelatin-photo 250 bloom" suitable?
    I have access to pretty decent darkroom and kitchen resources in case that is helpful.
    Thanks in advance for any help offered, I'm really looking forward to trying this out.
    -Hunter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Both URLs point to the same place. The price of the gelatin is outrageous. You can get all you need at the Photographers Formulary, a supporter of APUG.

You will find coating the emulsion to be a real pain, and getting a good ISO rating is also very very difficult, but good luck.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin