Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,182   Online: 873

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That was the old cellulose nitate base (explosive) that was eliminated in the 30s when Kodak went to the safety base.

Here you are seeing the cotton being dried before treatment with nitric acid which turned it into cellulose nitrate.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format

OK, OK, I'll stop!

1. One of the original base casting glass tables for roll film -- Kodak

2. Lumiere Bros Plant -- brewing emulsion

3. Lumiere Bros Plant -- coating glass plates

"Memoirs of a Photochemist", by Dr. Fritz Wentzel, American Museum of Photography, 1960, LOC #59-14970
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kodak_plant001.jpg   Lumiere_plant004.jpg   Lumiere_plant005.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Actually, I'd like to see a few more, if you don't mind...

Thanks,

Bob M.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ok, three more

Here are three more appropriate to the topic; again from
    "Memoirs of a Photochemist", by Dr. Fritz Wentzel, American Museum of Photography, 1960, LOC #59-14970

1. Silver coated manual press to form emulsion noodles for washing.

2. Helibronn Emulsion Kitchen for the Gustav Schaeuffelen'sch Papierfabrik in Heilbronn am Neckar -- makers of baryta coated papers.

3. Emulsion Kettle at Agfa Leverkusen.

That's all for now, gotta go do some work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails emulsion_press001.jpg   Heilbronn_emulsion001.jpg   Agfa_kettle001.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have seen the hydraulic press at work at EK pressing out 80 liter (20 gallon) tubs of solid emulsion at one crack. I have also had a hand version of the press. It was like a potato ricer, but heavier and very hard to squeeze manually. I used to exercise my hands with a hand coil spring so that I could work one in my lab. I still do.

PE

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Does anyone have any photos of:
    -Film perforating machines
    -Film coating and drying?
    -Inside of a coating plant?

Emulsion

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Basically, the machine is totally enclosed except at the head where the coating hopper is and at the end where the takeup roll is. There is nothing much to see sorry to say, unless the drying cabinets are opened up.

The turnaround on air bearings is fascinating to watch though.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As a sometimes contributor, I have diplomatically not become involved in the boring thread about Black & White Magazine (UK) that has been going on this site. However, an article on these photographs is what I would like to see in the mag. Why not get in touch Kino with the new editor and suggest they do a feature on these photographs. They are wonderful. I especially like the 'Old Hand Emulsion Noodle Press.' It reminds me of a marvelous device used to make spaghetti ice cream (?) in my favourite ice cream parlour in Cologne!
    Thanks
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mike;

I have posted here a picture of Mark Osterman of GEH using a potato ricer to shred emuilsion for washing. This is what we used at Kodak as well, heavy duty potato ricers.

I share your interest in getting such photos published and that is why I have been doing what I've been doing on APUG.

PE

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I have found the following excellent diagrams/photos in 1958 book "The Science of Photography" by H.Baines. This book is available at Abebooks for only a few dollars. I would recommend it as it is a very interesting book.

Anyone have any more recent photos?

Is festooning of film/paper still a current manufacturing process? Are there any books that describe this part of the process in more detail?

Emulsion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coating.jpg   Film Festoons.jpg  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin