Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,382   Posts: 1,683,078   Online: 944

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ben-s View Post
    Is there any chance of getting the DVD in PAL format for us UK folks?
    DVDs work a bit differently - they are based on regions of the world. A DVD can be made to play in all regions - in fact, AFIK, most small production run DVDs are produced to play in all regions. It only makes sense to regionalize DVDs for the big movie producers who can make different editions for different parts of the world.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    Ben,

Surely that depends on the origination format. i.e. if the video is originally high-def, that can be converted to NTSC or PAL without disproportionate loss. However, if the origination is standard def, the process of conversion from NTSC to PAL may negate any potential quality advantages. Most current DVD players / TVs (in the UK) will display an NTSC signal.

Another suggestion if the video origination is high-def might be to provide an HD version to the end user...

hope this helps,

Tom.
    Yes and no.
    It wasn't the quality I was on about, it was the whole standard.
    Most editing systems will allow you to render out PAL or NTSC as you like, so I was wondering if this would be done as an option.
    Assuming SD throughout, my modus operandi in this type of case would be to record PAL (higher res), edit and render out both formats.
    I'd then create region free DVDs from those files.
    Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hang in there, Ron!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    PE,

I'm looking forward to your book and DVD.

I understand very little of emulsion making, but my chemistry background at least allows me to realise how little I know - and I believe that even that little is far more than most others, including at least some of those who have claimed to make their own fast emulsions.

Put me down for one copy of each.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all of the support. I'm still hard at work typing away on the kbd. I am lining up the graphs, charts and still photos that I'll need to insert into the book and seeing how to get rights to some of them. I cannot take photo micrographs for example, and so will have to use some from other sources.

I will probably be doing the DVD in HD format on a MAC and will probably use Final Cut for the editor. A friend is a capable videographer and editor. I have a script outline that will show emulsion making, finishing, dye sensitization, and then film, paper and plate coating. This will be about 6 parts. The outline of the book contains two parts with some repetition....

Part I is what is going on and why and Part II is the entire set of formulas. This section hopefully will contain a selection of those used by friends as well, used with their permission, and also a section of formulas dredged from memory that I used to work with at EK. They will probably be impossible to reproduce exactly on paper, and will certainly be impossible to do at home without automation, but there will be a chapter on that as well. (the repetition will be mainly due to the fact that I expect some people to skip Part I and go right to Part II, but this might not be the best, so I'll repeat some crucial points in the experimental part)

I hope to include a complete listing of patents as well. I made a recent posting here on APUG of patents which gives some idea of what I've been looking at.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ron,

It's only the Internet! Ignore those who criticize or make unsubstantiated claims. Press on with your laudable work.

While hoping to continue using Ilford's products for the rest of my photographically productive life, I'll nonetheless be happily purchasing two copies of your book and DVD as soon as they are available. One set will be to keep and another to give a friend. Best of success with this project.

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Photo Microscope

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Thanks for all of the support. I'm still hard at work typing away on the kbd. I am lining up the graphs, charts and still photos that I'll need to insert into the book and seeing how to get rights to some of them. I cannot take photo micrographs for example, and so will have to use some from other sources.PE
    Hi Ron - My father has a photo-micrograph setup used for photographing sprayed metal coatings. It would probably work for photographing emulsions, but I'm not sure. You wouldn't need the slicing and polishing equipment, just the microscope. Maybe we could check this out when you visit here. I think I could persuade my father to lend it to you, he isn't currently using it.

Regards - Jim

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've moved the Mac/DVD off-topic posts to a separate thread here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum47/4...es-thread.html
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ole;

Thanks, but I didn't mind. The info was educational to us all. No problem with me. I learned a lot.

PE

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    So did I, PE, but since it was turning into a completely separate subject I decided to see if it could be done without interrupting the flow of the thread. I found that it could, so I did.

Besides - I found a "request" for that when reading slightly between the lines, but that was what made me look for the possibility in the first place.
    Norway

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin