Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,443   Online: 1188

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And therein lies the problems with getting film support!

I wanted Jim to answer this with the facts rather than my remembered guesstimates.

Thanks Jim.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    So, I guess the question that may need revisiting, is:

Is there is a way to sub untreated polyester or acetate that we can do ourselves that will provide the same flexibiity and adhesion as a commercial formula? The thinking here is that once this is accomplished, we should be able to get untreated polyester or acetate more easily and in smaller quantities (and cut sizes), and sub / emulsion coat to our heart's content.

Thanks,

Bob M.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, there is a way to sub some types of transparent support, but not Estar types. They are much harder to sub and I have no formulas for their subbing. Kodak used electron bombardment.

Doing the subbing in a uniform manner with high quality is going to be difficult. Each step reduces the yield. I have published a subbing for acetate here somewhere. If I run across it I'll do it again.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    PE,

If an anti-halation dye can be added to a subbing formula prior to coating, wouldn't this give us an opportunity to perfect the hand coating technique with room lights on before getting to the more expensive emulsion coating step?

Thanks,

Bob M.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ummm, Bob, I do that all the time. It is explained in the slide show that is a sticky on this forum. I teach that method to all of my students.

But, since AH dye is expensive, I use food colorings.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Would it be possible to find a company who uses the film itself, and group buy a single roll through them?
    Maybe they could even slice it into subrolls for a fee?
    Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Several people are working on several solutions to this one.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format

CAN'T GET UNCORUPTED PDF IN MY BLDNG

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Jim Browning has posted at his web site all of the sources for every product he uses in the formula posted above. Please read his article carefully and look at the pictures. Everything is there that you need.

PE
    I AND EVERYONE IN MY BLDNG HAS TROUBLE RE PDF DOWNLOADS-THAT INCLUDES GETTING AN UNCORUPTED COPY OF ADOBE READER

JPEGS COME THRU FINE-VERIZON AND ALL ISPS HAVE NO SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM SO I CAN'T READ THE ARTICLE-BLDNG WIRE IS THE LIKELY SUSPECT

I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO MOVE FOR 1 1/2 YRS BECAUSE OF VARIOUS ISSUES THAT MNGMNT WON'T ADDRESS RE NON SUPPLY OF SERVICES TO TENNANTS

LIFE IN THE BIG CITY IS LIKE THAT

MY COURT CASE WITH BLDNG MNGMNT IS UP FOR ANOTHER APPEARANCE BEFORE THE JUDGE ON JULY 16-EVERYBODY PLEASE WISH ME LUCK SO I CAN GET OUT OF MY LEASE AND MOVE

VAYA CON DIOS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wish I could convert it to a document for you that you could download. I can't do that though. I don't have the software.

The pictures and graphs are plentiful and it is filled with information. Jim did post the source of support and problems associated with it above.

I wish you the best.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    It is 7 mil (0.007") Estar for all practical purposes.

One side is subbed to accept aqueous coatings.

PE
    At work, we screen print solvent based conductive inks and aqueous based UV cure inks onto polyester (and polycarbonate) sheets which have a print receptive coating.
    Would you know if it is likely that these coatings would also aid the adhesion of an emulsion? It seems likely to me but I don't have any real basis for thinking this.

The materials we use are usually 5mil thick from Autotype and General Electric. If anyone wants some small pieces (A4/Letter size) to experiment with, I can post some.

Steve
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin