Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,717   Online: 762

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well done!

What size are your plates and how did you coat them?

I'm still battling away tring to make my first emulsion but I'm thwarted at every turn by Health and Safety rules (HazMat in the US, I think?). I'm still stuck without 0.880 ammonia and so decided to make my own, but... anyway it is a long story, but I am getting there

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very impressive. The contrast doesn't look too bad; maybe a tch high, but its hard to tell.

Really really nice quality, and excellent coating of the plates!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_e007 View Post
    Well done!

What size are your plates and how did you coat them?

I'm still battling away tring to make my first emulsion but I'm thwarted at every turn by Health and Safety rules (HazMat in the US, I think?). I'm still stuck without 0.880 ammonia and so decided to make my own, but... anyway it is a long story, but I am getting there

Steve

Steve;

There are formulas out there that do not need ammonia.

In addition, you can take an ammonia type formula and use the acid base cycle (ammonium sulfate), or you can add the iodide at the end of the make, you just have to add less or you will fog the emulsion.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Steve;

There are formulas out there that do not need ammonia.

In addition, you can take an ammonia type formula and use the acid base cycle (ammonium sulfate), or you can add the iodide at the end of the make, you just have to add less or you will fog the emulsion.

PE

Well, making ammonia shouldn't be too bad. I ordered loads of laboratory glassware and stuff and set up the equipment I needed (nice and cheap off eBay) and waited for the chemicals to arrive (marble chips, Ammonium Chloride, that sort of thing...)
    And waited...
    And waited...

Most the people on eBay have been great, but the one guy I ordered the chems from is either a bad apple or, if his excuses are to be believed, eBay screwed up.

I'm still hopeful I may get the stuff eventually...

Meanwhile I tried making CaO from 'precipitated chalk' which I am assured is ground limestone.
    Either I was assured incorrectly or the brewery supplier who supllied me didn't give me precipitated chalk at all, but gypsum or possibly magnesium carbonate rather than calcium carbonate... :o

Either way, I must have put enough heat into it to weld a battle ship (cracking the crucible in the process) and the stuff was just the same as when I started, but warmer...

Anyway, I will master it - I'm determined!
    I went for a walk through an ancient quarry at the weekend and managed to pick up some lumps of what I think are limestone. I knocked off a few chips with a hammer and put a blow torch on them for a few minutes and, after they cooled, put them in water where they fizzed reasuringly, giving me a white milky solution. So, now all I've got to do is get the barbeque REALLY hot

OK, this is getting a bit silly. At this rate I will be sourcing the gelatine by buying my own cow

But, its kinda fun, just not sure what it has got to do with photography!

Steve
    Last edited by steven_e007; 07-24-2007 at 10:07 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: missed a bit

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks for the compliments.

The images are 5x7 enlagments on Ilford VC,RC paper with no filtration. The plates are 3.25 x 4.25 and have well enugh density for albumen or salt printing.

Development is with Dektol 1:1, 2min or D-19, 3 min.

Coating is done in hand just like collodion, I like the idea of using a tea pot, I just pour directly from the stainless steel developing tank I use to melt the emulsion in.

Most formulas call for Ammonia but I like to keep things as simple as possible and use no ammonia.

No subbing was used.

Thanks again.

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Very nice photos. Thank you for letting us see and for telling us how and what you did !!

Shooter
    Medium Format

outstanding results...

Kevin,

Those samples were terrific. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Bob M

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin