Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,507   Posts: 1,543,546   Online: 1079

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Emulsion Sensativity Question

I own and operate a small pro lab in Sydney australia.
    Many of my clients either travel overseas or are based over
    seas and send their work to me. I have noticed a pattern relating to emulsions which I am hoping someone else may have noticed or have some idea as to
    weather what I am noticing is coincidence or has a science behind it.

When I get mixtures of films including Black and white emulsions and colour E-6, C-41 emulsions I find if they have been exposed to a damaging level of X-rays
    there is a trend for the black and whites to be damaged most often followed by lesser damage on the c-41 and then rarely on E-6.

This observation has made me wonder is this just a coincidence in my lab? or is there a science behind black and white emulsions being more sensitive to X-ray damage, c-41 less so and E-6 less so again?

If so can someone explain this too me? as ive noticed this pattern often.

~Steve Frizza
    The Lighthouse Lab

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    What is the damage you see?

I imagine it is base fog on the B&W?

Corey

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    no X-ray damage from airports is usually a wavy fog. I will scan some late for those who have not seen it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Mods- this post seems more like a general film question and not an emulsion making question, could this be moved?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I felt it best to ask to emulsion makers as they may know what variant causes this? i.e in terms of weather in emulsion manufacturing there is a reason behind my observation.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin