Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,961   Posts: 1,523,120   Online: 952
      
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 105
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    877
    What PE, you aren't going to shoot this on Super 8? I'm really disappointed in you ;-)

    I can't wait for the finished product. Good luck!
    John Bowen

  2. #12
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    22,930
    Images
    65
    I would love to do it on Super 8, but for 2 problems. One is that the batteries in my super 8 went bad and corroded the battery chamber, and the second is that I can't film in HD.

    PE

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    324
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I would love to do it on Super 8, but for 2 problems. One is that the batteries in my super 8 went bad and corroded the battery chamber, and the second is that I can't film in HD.

    PE
    you're a SELL OUT! ;-)

  4. #14
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    22,930
    Images
    65
    We are 3 hours into the taping of material for the DVD. We have 30 minutes of tape for that 3 hours of work and most of it will end up on the cutting room floor (as one person told me). Today we continue for about 4 more hours, then take a break for a few weeks to look it over and reshoot some scenes.

    The tests using IR look good so you will actually see an emulsion being made by hand with no machinery. We already have taped practice runs of coatings with the blades and tinted gelatin. I'm not happy with them, because the distraction of the taping operation and the fact that I had to stand at an unnatural position (for me) to get a good camera angle made the coating have a small defect at the lower left corner. Oh well, maybe we will shoot it again.

    Scenes include:

    1. Safety, 2. Making up melted gelatin, 3. Calibrating a coating blade, 4. Coating paper. Ancillary scenes show the rows of bottles and equipment I use and their classes or types such as hardeners, surfactants, antifoggants and etc. I then show the use of a brush or small tray to coat paper. Today we will make the Azo emulsion and coat a test of that emulsion. If we have time, I may tape either the making of an ammonia complex of silver, or ISO washing of an emulsion.

    Our workflow is to do 2 - 3 rehearsals or walk throughs of a scene, then tape. After, we view and either reshoot or not. Some scenes we shoot then do a closeup of just my hands. We have a script and storyboard layout of still photos on the dry side of the darkroom to check as we go.

    So, progress progresses.

    PE

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    877
    PE

    Great news!!
    John Bowen

  6. #16
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    22,930
    Images
    65
    Well, we did some catchup scenes today and then made a 600 gram batch of the Azo emulsion under infra red light while taping. Then I made the test coatings which are now drying. The can of emulsion is in the fridge right now. The infra red pix came out astoundingly well. You can actually see the Silver Chloride precipitating.

    So, I have another 30 minutes of tape for about 3 hours of work. That seems to be our average.

    If I can learn to make stills of this stuff, I will post some if no one objects to digital pix of analog materials being made. . Right now, I follow the program (Sony) instructions to make still prints or still captures from the digital tape stream, and it tells me that tape images cannot be printed or captured. This message is up while I'm reading the help message explaining how to do it. So something is wrong so far. Either the help file is wrong or the program is not working right.

    It says to view the image until the frame is located that you wish to copy, save or print. You select this frame and then go to the menu bar and click on print etc.... Thats when I get the message that tells me that video images cannot be printed. Aren't computers wonderful?

    PE

  7. #17
    rmazzullo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    263
    PE,

    This is great news, and very encouraging. It looks like a lot of fantastic information is coming our way very soon.

    Have you ever considered writing a textbook? Can you imagine the 'end of the chapter' questions and assignments?

    Bob M.

  8. #18
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    22,930
    Images
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by rmazzullo View Post
    PE,

    This is great news, and very encouraging. It looks like a lot of fantastic information is coming our way very soon.

    Have you ever considered writing a textbook? Can you imagine the 'end of the chapter' questions and assignments?

    Bob M.
    Bob;

    RE: Book!

    Look in your notes or past posts by me.

    PE

  9. #19
    rmazzullo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Bob;

    RE: Book!

    Look in your notes or past posts by me.

    PE
    PE,

    I have plenty of notes and and have copied all of the information from these threads (as well as some from photo net), but I can only guess at what other practical information remains to be discussed. Perhaps when it is all assembled, I will have that textbook.

    Still, the 'questions' at the end of the 'chapters' are what I would be most interested in.

    Bob

  10. #20
    ben-s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    443
    Images
    11
    Great news, PE
    30 mins of reasonable material for 3 hours work is pretty good.
    Glad to hear the IR is working too.


    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    If I can learn to make stills of this stuff, I will post some if no one objects to digital pix of analog materials being made. . Right now, I follow the program (Sony) instructions to make still prints or still captures from the digital tape stream, and it tells me that tape images cannot be printed or captured. This message is up while I'm reading the help message explaining how to do it. So something is wrong so far. Either the help file is wrong or the program is not working right.

    It says to view the image until the frame is located that you wish to copy, save or print. You select this frame and then go to the menu bar and click on print etc.... Thats when I get the message that tells me that video images cannot be printed. Aren't computers wonderful?

    PE
    Are you copying the material to your computer via firewire?
    If so, you can take the stills from the video file:
    Download a copy of VLC media player (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) and install it.
    Open your video file in VLC
    Play to the bit you're interested in and pause VLC
    Go to the Video menu, and click Snapshot.
    The program will put a .png file with the name vlcsnap_[serial no].png in your "My Documents" folder

    If you're not capturing the video, you can use VLC to grab from the DV stream instead.
    Plug in the camera, Load VLC, and go file-->open capture device.
    select your camera from the drop down box, and click ok.
    Then go to video-->snapshot as before.

    Hope this makes sense and helps.
    Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. :D

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin