Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,781   Online: 891

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Ben. I'll give it a try.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Making an Azo type emulsion - still from DVD

With my thanks to Ben, here are two stills from the DVD in progress.

These pictures were taken with a red flashlight safelight and my normal yellow safelights. The camera was in IR mode, so the emulsion is hopefully not fogged.

The first picture shows the syringe posed over the beaker before precipitation starts and the second shows the precipitation in progress. Hopefully you will see the white cloud of emulsion being formed in the beaker.

This was a 600 gram make of the emulsion which should make about 100 8x10 prints and should keep for 6 months. I made 2 coatings which are waiting to be tested.

PE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Making Azo 1.jpg   Making Azo 2.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Frickin-neat!
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    That's great! I love the mad scientist side lighting!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kirk;

Thanks.

That is the same red filtered flashlight you held for me during the workshop and I'm making the same formula as I did then. Only here, I have it balanced on another object. You were not around to help me.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Coating with a blade

I've been asked by so many, how the blades work in detail.

Here are two still frames taken during a practice session for the DVD. I am using 10% gelatin, tinted with food dyes for visibility.

The first picture shows the blade being charged with 12 ml of "emulsion", and the second one shows the action of drawing the blade across the paper to create a finished 8x10 coating. Defects are to be expected at the top and bottom of the 'run'. In fact, coating defects of this nature occur even with a full production coating machine due to starup and shutdown.

The black marker lines on the coating indicate to me, in the dark, where the good and bad coating can be found. I always coat wider and longer than the desired coating size.

PE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Charging the blade.jpg   Coating in progress.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Ron,

This just rocks! I'm so glad you are making this video!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Good gosh, Ron! This looks amazing, like something I would watch even if I didn't have an interest in emulsion making (which I do). Are you taking deposits?

- Justin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guys;

Thanks for all the nice comments.

I want you to know that I know how to make and coat more elegantly than what you see above, but what I'm trying to do is make it nearly foolproof and doable in a small home darkroom.

Therefore, it will al be done with a minimum of chemicals and equipment. In fact, the most expensive item is the hotplate/stirrer you see in my post 22 above. And, of course the silver nitrate! That is also expensive.

Well, just to let you know that to satisfy myself that the IR and heavy red safelights were 'safe' I just finished processing two prints and a wedge spectrogram of the emulsion made during the shooting session and it is absolutely normal.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This is really cool mad scientist stuff.
    Just can't wait to see the finished video.

Marc

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin