Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,828   Posts: 1,582,144   Online: 1068

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not familiar enough with A1, but chrome plating could be used. The problems arise from the expense of the plating operation and wear and tear exposing the underlying metal. Some plated blades at Kodak began corroding, so they stopped that 'experiment'.

In fact, ones set of blades was made of cheap iron with a teflon coating. It eventually began to wear and then corrode.

You see, the surface of paper is quite surprisingly abrasive and does a job on the surface of a blade.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I'm not familiar enough with A1, but chrome plating could be used. The problems arise from the expense of the plating operation and wear and tear exposing the underlying metal. Some plated blades at Kodak began corroding, so they stopped that 'experiment'.

In fact, ones set of blades was made of cheap iron with a teflon coating. It eventually began to wear and then corrode.

You see, the surface of paper is quite surprisingly abrasive and does a job on the surface of a blade.

PE
    But the use of a coating blade by an individual that will only coat enough paper for their personal use would be very light use, as compared to a set of blades that would be used in a photo research lab. An individual may only use their blade 10 times a year. Materials that would not hold up in industrial use, may be just fine for an artist, who coats infrequently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    But the use of a coating blade by an individual that will only coat enough paper for their personal use would be very light use, as compared to a set of blades that would be used in a photo research lab. An individual may only use their blade 10 times a year. Materials that would not hold up in industrial use, may be just fine for an artist, who coats infrequently.
    I'm not entirely sure and in my position cannot take the chance of supplying an inferior product in any way. I would rather supply none.

What you say is only a guesstimate. Baryta and the clays in papers are quite abrasive. Besides, any slight nick in the darkroom from other equipment could do in a coated blade.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Do you think it is the cutting process which is causing the distortion or is it more likely to be an inherent torsion within the material which is held in balance with the removed part - until it is removed?

If it is the cutting process itself, perhaps spark erosion would work.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been assured, after using 3 methods, that the cutting is not the problem, it is tension within the material after forging into bar stock. It cannot be eliminated and it does not appear until the cut bar is removed or released from the jig. Then it immediately bends and twists at random. If it can be fixed, then the blade is rough and smooth polished, then drilled and tapped.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Have you considered any other materials?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cahayapemburu View Post
    Have you considered any other materials?

Please look at previous threads on this. Yes, I have looked at many many materials. They are too light, too fragile, to hard, too heavy, too expensive and this is getting to be just too much for me.

I have customers waiting for custom blades and I can't fill the orders due to defects.

If I had an answer, I would not have this post here! I would be churning out blades and supplying the market.

Sorry for the rant, but this whole thing has me down. One customer wanted his as a Christmas present and I just cannot deliver for him. How do you think I feel?

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Frustrated, undercompensated and underappreciated? No good deed goes unpunished. Wishing you a merry Christmas.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    So if blades out not going to be workable, what technique would be second best?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Have You tried ceramic materials or Plastics like Polysufon from BASF. They are chemical resistant and heat resistant.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin