Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,658   Online: 1109

Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 37891011121314151617181923 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    It can be done without all of the couplers and colloid mill, but is going to require the unique processing chemistry.
    Better make sure he dusts off his couplers and colloid mill then.

And the design stages of the film are very intensive to get things right.
    To quote Vin Diesel in the movie xXx "I live for this sh!t". (Well, not me, but him - ah stuffit, you know what I mean)

you need a very particular dye for the cyan layer that will not wash out until the silver is bleached away.
    That dye is not that difficult to acquire, but to quote the builder... "There are more methods of skinning cats".

I will see if I can get some photos of his preparation gear today or tomorrow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Please look at US patent # 3,658, 525 which is the process patent for the current Kodachrome (with a few tweaks in the final release). This patent has been abandoned since Fuji and Konica no longer produce Kodachrome type films.

I also have a source for the red sensitizing dye which forms a "J" aggregate of high staying power on the cyan layer emulsion. In fact, I have 900 mg of it left from my own emulsion work.

I don't want you to skin any cats. It would be so inhumane.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    I suspect it is the cat skinning he is interested in rather than the end product.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Dark Orange,

Have you had any luck taking additional photos? I'm very interested in the reaction vessels/kettles and lab gear.

Thanks from,
    Emulsion.

Shooter
    35mm
    My apologies, I have been called away for work and won't be back for a few weeks.

The builder would prefer his preparation equipment to be shown when it is all completed, so it can be seen as a process rather than as disjointed items.

I will keep you posted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FWIW, this has got to be one of the most facinating threads I have followed on any photo-related forum anywhere. There is so much going on here that (intentionally) doesn't meet the eye that I could probably poke out both of mine with a red-hot iron and be none the worse for it...

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 03-01-2008 at 11:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm

Dark Orange,

In the Flickr shots, don't you mention that the mysterious builder is your father?

Incredible work and obviously lots of time.

I guess I'll return the paint brush to the hardware store........

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rmazzullo View Post
    I received a message today from the actual sales rep from the company that makes triacetate film base. They only make the triacetate in 'master roll' sizes -- about 45 inches wide, by 1,850 meters long, by 4.6 mils. I would have to buy 6 master rolls so that comes out to about 6.6 miles. I was under the impression from the initial contact that they sold cut sizes of triacetate. Not so. This is probably more film base than we could use in two lifetimes on such a small scale.

They did suggest other places to look, so I have some more work to do on Monday.

Dark orange, do you know where the machine builder got his base material from?

Thanks,

Bob M.
    Ask for a sample. I used to get all kinds of goodies that way. Some companies are really generous with said samples. Be ready for an explanation to the sales department.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Photo Engineer, this message is addressed to you.

Several months ago, I wrote here that the film market had changed, and if most pros already made the move to digital, the film market relies today only on amateurs, advanced or beginners, but mostly amateurs. I also pretended that for this market the price of a 35mm or 120 size roll of film shouldn’t exceed $2(US). You laugh about this assertion, and I left you with your nostalgia of big is better.

What I wanted to claim in that thread, and I didn’t because of your stereotyped comments, was that for this new market the industry should change, and coating machines shouldn’t exceed a minilab size. They also shouldn’t be managed by CEO and shareholders, but by single people or at most a family, just like in the case of a minilab. Now I have remorse not to have written this idea/vision in that old trade, but believe me, I thought it! Now, here is its confirmation: a coating machine the size of a minilab. This is the future of film: I dream of going to the closest minilab to buy films and papers made on site, instead of going to get developed my films, as used until recently. And I hope this dream will become through: the sooner the better.

I do not post this comment to start a contradictory discussion with you, nor to have the last word. All I want/hope is you to recognize you was trapped by old visions, and as an influential member of this site to support such new ideas and performances. PE, there isn’t any way back to the ‘60s, ‘70s, or ‘80s, but there is a way forward for film. Please see it, and support it! Thanks.
    Last edited by phenix; 07-06-2008 at 12:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    B&W is silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Personally I don't like the quality of most minilabs developing my film, much less coating it...not that I wouldn't like to see a trained emulsion chemist in every minilab, but so long as photography requires consistency I don't like the idea of my HP5+ being coated in my local lab next to the grocery store.
    I'd just like to chime in and say this is an incredible project though, and I had a pang of national pride to see the familiar Pura brand milk in your fridge next to the emulsion. 5 generations of dairy farmer will do that to you, but please keep us posted while we dream.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin