Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,317   Online: 951

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 711121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PET is often "subbed" by electron bombardment followed by a layer of gelatin with hardener. Or, PET is coated directly with the bombardment in a sequence called ILEB (In Line Electron Bombardment).

Other supports are often subbed by an organic polymer, a solvent and which is mixed with acetic acid which is then coated and evaporated evaporated. Gelatin is placed on top of this.

Ammonia and most other alkalis dissolve gelatin by denaturing or hydrolysing the amino acid links.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    No. It will take a while for this to happen I guess.

Also, there is the matter of getting film support. We don't seem to be able to get any so getting the machine is a moot point if this turns out to be true.

PE
    By film support, you mean customers?

I wish I still had my machine shop; I would have been more than happy to contribute to the project.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PeteZ8,

Film support is the same as film base, meaning the thin plastic sheet on which the film emulsion is coated. It is usually triacetate celluloid or PET. Problem is that it has to be subbed, meaning there is a layer that helps the emulsion to adhere properly and surviving the process without loosening.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hrst is right Pete. But, your post really gave me a good laugh. I'm sorry and apologize in advance, but this was a real HOOT to me!

Please forgive me.

I could use a good machinest!

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I knew what he meant, I guess I should have punctuated it with a but I wanted the joke to be more tongue-in-cheek than anything.

Glad a few people got a laugh out of it though With all the bad news to come down the pipe the last few weeks you have to laugh at the situation a little bit.

A small, efficent specialty coating machine could really be a profitable venture these days though. As demand shrinks for niche products, full scale manufacturing simply becomes impractical. While a small niche product may be a drop in the bucket to a company like (like Kodak) to consider worthwhile, investing in small scale manufacturing could make an individual a pretty good living.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Please note that this work seems to have stopped. There is no further information on this anywhere.

PE
    No PE, The coating machine project is very much alive and kicking. Since the last post ,additional equipment has been installed ( multi emulsion delivery system, new drive and pumps etc), this together with much emulsion research to produce the emulsions and blends, interlayers etc for the color reversal film (Kodachrome type) that I am working on has, and still is occupying virtually all my time. With the emulsion blends for the three records nearly complete a four slot slide hopper will be installed so the film can be coated in just two passes, which will save time. The viscosity strata of the emulsions will then have to be adjusted...more work!
    I know that there is a lot of interest in this project so please be patient and
    more information will be forth coming.
    Last edited by photo researcher; 11-05-2009 at 01:55 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am very very glad to hear that I was wrong. And I am very hopeful that your work pans out. I had some incorrect information.

My best wishes.

PE

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    photo researcher,

Welcome to Apug! It's great to hear from you at this place.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    photo researcher,

Welcome to Apug! It's great to hear from you at this place.
    Thanks AgX, I have been in the background for too long.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by photo researcher View Post
    Thanks AgX, I have been in the background for too long.
    Yes!

I too would like express appreciation for your presence here!
    Emotions sometimes reach intense levels, but there is also much passion involved. I truely hope you never regret your choice to "surface".

I never doubted that you were progressing and have long wanted to learn more about your progress, your ups and downs and so on.

Welcome!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin