Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,771   Posts: 1,516,530   Online: 810

Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1115161718192021222324252627 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used some like those!

Lots of fun.

PE

Shooter
    35mm

Kodak coating machines

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I've used some like those!
    I'm sure you did!

Fred

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Seemed like the appropriate place to post this...

This Laboratory Drawdown Coater looks awesome -> http://www.chemsultants.com/testing-...wn-coater.aspx
    The prime-inventor of Agfacolor once stated that he could carry his in the 40's home-built coater for Agfacolor type film under his arms for a walk...

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format

update?

Back to the original topic of this thread:

What happened to the Filminator?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    The prime-inventor of Agfacolor once stated that he could carry his in the 40's home-built coater for Agfacolor type film under his arms for a walk...
    I have seen that coater, and I know its advantages and limitations.

PE

Shooter
    35mm

Is this a Kodachrome thread? I'm afraid to look.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    And probably cheaper than to purchase. The quote from them came in at 6500.00 USD, but you must consider that this is new, with warranty, and expecting to be serviced, and prepared to offer support to an industrial customer instead of a hobby market.

All in all, it probably isn't too outrageous for an industrial customer that wants a coater that "just works out of the box" and doesn't want to fool with it. But it is a bit steep for a guy in a hobby market. I certainly have paid more than that for industrial equipment that "just works" although not quite something as simple as this looks.

But I'll bet something turns up on fleaBay once in a whole lots cheaper.
    Not too bad at all. Remember, the "hobby market" is providing at least some of the demand for $7,000.00 Leicas. If the apocalypse comes a small group could go in on this for a simple B&W emulsion. In the meantime your film needs can be supplied by any of several manufacturers.

I've never made and coated my own emulsion but it actually looks pretty simple (a wire wrapped rod; how elegant!) How come nobody talks about the sprocket hole puncher? Now that's something the home-made folks could get their teeth into.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That handmade coater was only made to show the feasability of manufacture to future clients, not to imitate the Agfa coater on which Agfacolor had been made for the preceeding 10 years.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    How come nobody talks about the sprocket hole puncher? Now that's something the home-made folks could get their teeth into.
    A simple perforator is within the capability of of anybody with some drilling and milling machinery.

Off the shelf solutions have also been suggested by using cine-splicers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Film coating machine (homemade) on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    Not too bad at all. Remember, the "hobby market" is providing at least some of the demand for $7,000.00 Leicas. If the apocalypse comes a small group could go in on this for a simple B&W emulsion. In the meantime your film needs can be supplied by any of several manufacturers.

I've never made and coated my own emulsion but it actually looks pretty simple (a wire wrapped rod; how elegant!) How come nobody talks about the sprocket hole puncher? Now that's something the home-made folks could get their teeth into.

s-a
    For myself, if I were coating I would likely be targeting 120 size. Then the issue becomes a stable backing paper which doesn't interact with the film instead of how to punch holes.

For what is likely not going to be as good as Plus-X or FP4, I suspect a homemade emulsion would benefit greatly from the larger negative size.

Stable, chemically inert backing paper isn't so easy, however. About the cheapest I ever saw was the stuff on the Shanghai GP3 Chinese film. It seemed almost like children's construction paper. Then you have to print numbers which are chemically inert.

None of this is impossible, but it sure isn't trivial.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think that if I was going to make my own emulsion, I would be more interested in coating glass plates than a flexible film.

Steve.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin