Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,886   Posts: 1,520,678   Online: 1128

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1721222324252627

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now that this thread has been brought back to life, whatever happened to the Australian coating machine? Did he ever get it running successfully?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It has been stalled due to the severe weather in AU.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    It has been stalled due to the severe weather in AU.
    If this weather is termed severe then bring it on I say !

SYDNEY AREA
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard05.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	78539
    Last edited by PeterB; 12-16-2013 at 06:13 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: replaced text table with graphics equivalent

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Peter, how about the flooding? Did you forget that?

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    mmm.... those floods seem so long ago and so far away. I live in Sydney where we rarely have flooding issues. Last major floods in OZ were in/near Bundaberg on Jan 28th 2013 and prior to that in SE Qld in January 2011.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    There is a group trying to learn where I am Not sufficient success (I am at the stage of getting a workable black and white emulsion to coat glass but still need to work out hardening). It is hard getting access to knowledge with our own photochemical industry destroyed in the early 1990s

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Radek, the best hardener for glass plates is chrome alum, the blue stuff!

You can find instructions here on APUG or in many texts.

However, if you stay at 20C or lower, you do not always need a hardener as long as your glass is clean.

PE

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    We here every last bit of news about Kodak's film group shrinking, but news from Fujifilm is silent (aside from which films are lost). I wonder how small Fujfilm's coating facilities and staff have gotten. I guess we'll never really know.
    That is something I too noticed and it's quite a curiosity. We don't have anyone who knows directly about the operation of Fuji.

Could speculate that they don't have that huge capacity as they given up MP film (which for Kodak is the gross volume, but could have been for Fuji too). So the whole machinery is now dedicated to just still film.
    I recall other uses for the coaters, surely mentioned by PE around here. IIRC, Kodak worked on OLED tech which needed some kind of film coated.

Back to the topic...
    The operation around the machine is halted, but the machine is fine despite the flood episodes?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks PE - I am trying both pure chrome alum and a mixture with formaline as recommended by one of researchers from what used to be Polish photographic industry. My suspicion is I store the alum solution too long

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is by far the most interesting and exciting thread I have ever read. From start to finish I was on the edge of my seat. Please keep it going if at all possible!

ps. The smell of formalin and formaldehyde used to permeate my dads lab when I was growing up! I will NEVER forget THE smell!
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin