Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,942   Posts: 1,557,587   Online: 1199

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Since coated width must be narrower than the support for technical reasons, and the edges are defective, this method would either be extremely messy causing loads of defects, or produce a product that is underwidth.

It is better to coat wider and cut down. This has been the experience of ALL manufacturers to date.

PE
    Dang. Thought I could get around slitting and perforating the film after the run.

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow. I can scarcely contain my excitement about this, being someone who got into film after it was essentially obsolete. One of my greatest personal worries is being stuck in a world in which 35mm film is no longer produced.

I'd love to see the plans/information on this machine be made available for the community; I wonder if our unnamed wonder chemist would be amenable...

Shooter
    35mm
    If the fellow isn't already here, he should be invited.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    It is better to coat wider and cut down. This has been the experience of ALL manufacturers to date.
    I would think, too, that coating pre-perfed film could lead to all kinds of issues of un-evenness.

Ed

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Perhaps one of the drive rollers towards the end of the run can be a sprocket punch / film slitter. What needs to be determined is if it would be a rotary punch, or something intermittent, perhaps driven by a geneva mechanism, or rotary cam, or something along those lines.

Timing it would be 'fun'.

Bob M.
    Last edited by rmazzullo; 12-28-2007 at 08:26 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added info

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rmazzullo View Post
    Perhaps one of the drive rollers towards the end of the run can be a sprocket punch / film slitter. What needs to be determined is if it would be a rotary punch, or something intermittent, perhaps driven by a geneva mechanism, or rotary cam, or something along those lines.

Timing it would be 'fun'.

Bob M.

I've been thinking about this quite a bit, and came to the conclusion that it would be a bad idea to make slitting/chopping/perfing part of the coater's job.
    It would limit you to making only one format on that particular machine.

If you coat a "master roll", and chop that up in another machine, you immediately have a coater that can produce many formats - which, given the low demand for film is quite useful.
    Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    After thinking about your post, I have to agree with you. Separating the two tasks into 2 machines makes good sense, and reduces complexity quite a bit.

Thanks for the second look, Ben.

Bob M.

Shooter
    35mm
    What about flashing edge markings on? Engineering that would be even more 'fun' than the sprocket pucnh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by okto View Post
    What about flashing edge markings on? Engineering that would be even more 'fun' than the sprocket pucnh.
    Oddly enough, I think that would be pretty simple.
    A line of LEDs shooting into small fibre optics arraged into a line could be driven by a PIC to print text in a similar manner to "POV toys"
    http://www.ladyada.net/make/minipov2/index.html

These things work on persistence of vision, and basically flash out a message on one line of LEDs. As you swish them through the air, their message appears, courtesy of the persistence in your eye.

The same trick would work with film. If you really wanted to be complex, you could hook the clock input of the PIC to the speed of the film - I doubt this would be necessary though...
    Last edited by ben-s; 12-28-2007 at 09:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hopefully the attached files will make it a bit clearer...

Pic driving LEDs:

Fibre optic head over the edge of the film:

The LEDs flash like this:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails filmstrip.jpg   ledseq.jpg   pic-led.jpg  

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin