Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,559   Online: 1107

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Photographic System design

I have been thinking over the idea of starting a set of tutorials on photo system design as I learned it over the years at Kodak. With the dwindling number of engineers out there, and so few who want to participate in this type of discussion, I thought there might be people out there interested.

I did start one on PN a while back, but it was largely ignored so I stopped.

So, here is the question, and if the answers are favorable (and there are enough of them), I would start it and ask Sean to create a sub forum on system design for B&W and Color. In addition, I would consider a sub forum on the design of photographic processing solutions, Color and B&W.

This will not be a non-technical series. It will take some thought to understand what is being described and it will take people willing to learn a bit of chemistry, not much but enough to follow some discussions.

PE

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I suspect anything you present will be more than worthwhile, but I'm wondering, when you say, "photo system design", are you talking about coating machine design, processing machine design, other?

Regardless of what specifics, I'm thrilled any of the hard won knowledge gets saved and searchable.

C

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't know if you get over into the largeformatphotography.info forum but one of the guys over there is quite intent on producing a e-zine with hard copy follow up every three months as wanted. It seems like a good topic for the new site to debut in January. Of course that's besides here as well.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    I don't know if you get over into the largeformatphotography.info forum but one of the guys over there is quite intent on producing a e-zine with hard copy follow up every three months as wanted. It seems like a good topic for the new site to debut in January. Of course that's besides here as well.
    Slight deviation of topic, Wayne that e-zine has had a greater following on APUG.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think this is an excellent idea.

Knowledge like this needs to be preserved....

I'm still mad they burned the library of Alexandria

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am quite interested in the chemistry of going from particles of silver to an image on film; so from sensitization through to finished negative/positive. However, everytime I start to think about it, I realize that I haven't really thought about redox chemistry in about 20 years and that I have forgotten things I really need to know to understand it.

In short then, I would welcome the tutorials.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Curious!

Reading text-books is one thing but having a lecturer one can ask questions a different thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just a suggestion, but perhaps Sean could work out a way of building some kind of knowledge base with linked forum posts, so the actual main content is separated from any potential hijacking. A set of tutorials is an excellent idea.

Tom.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes, this is an excellent idea! I'm looking forward to it.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ron,

It sounds interesting, and valuable to have that discussion. I'm interested, both in the photo system and in a discussion on processing solutions. I've got a couple of engineering degrees, so I'm sure I can study up and follow the chemistry.

What might be most interesting is not just how things were designed, but why. Some of that 'why' might help others scale the process back down to what would be a feasible size today. I know you are doing that on the home darkroom size already. I'd do my best to match your investment of time in writing it with time studying and learning.
    Jonathan
    -----------------------------------------------

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin