Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,483   Posts: 1,571,225   Online: 1116

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Ground glass as plate

I am having trouble locating 1.5mm thick glass locally however I do have some old/cracked ground glass that is 1.5mm thick.

How about using that as the plate for my home-brew emulsion?

I suppose that it would provide a better grip for the emulsion - perhaps no subbing necessary, right?

I don't plan on keeping my negatives so I would wash/reuse the glass plates anyway.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Have you looked for 1/16th inch glass instead. It's very close in thickness.

I'm sure ground glass would work. I don't think you would see a pattern from the ground surface, especially as you are going to put the gelatin against it and I think that would help "smooth" out the texture.

It probably would help give some more grip - but on the first set of plates I've done I added some chrome alum to the emulsion before I poured it and out of a 6 plates I made, only one had any separation of the emulsion and I used a very long development time - about 12 minutes on that one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hi there

you might look for regular old window pane ( plate ).
    the dry plates i have made ( and the plates i enlarged onto )
    were all window glass gotten from a demolished greenhouse
    or windows left in the street. i never used alum hardener
    but plan on using it next batch i coat. instead i used a mixture
    of various things from urethane and varnish ( yellowed after a while )
    to knox gel. before you coat the subb/binding agent, make sure
    you scrub your glass clean so water sheets off.

have fun!
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cytoplasmic View Post
    I am having trouble locating 1.5mm thick glass locally however I do have some old/cracked ground glass that is 1.5mm thick.

How about using that as the plate for my home-brew emulsion?

I suppose that it would provide a better grip for the emulsion - perhaps no subbing necessary, right?

I don't plan on keeping my negatives so I would wash/reuse the glass plates anyway.
    Glass in 1,5mm is indeed hard to locate. The thinner glass is mostly used in technical environments, laboratories etc.
    I think a well cleaned glass from a picture frame could suit your needs if it fits your holders.

G

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin