Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,465   Posts: 1,570,676   Online: 865

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Types of UF units

There are basically 3 types of UF units now being sold. They are "plate and frame", "spiral wound", and "hollow fibre". Kodak has used all 3 types. I will probably be trying all of them myself to decide which can be used for small scale emulsion makes in the 5 liter or less size, down to 100 ml.

I had some success yesterday, and hope to give more details soon.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have now determined that the optimum 'band pass' of any type of UF filter as noted above is between 10 and 100 K Daltons.

This is not my main field of work so I am learning and relearning stuff I never had learned previously or had only observed peripherally.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I have now determined that the optimum 'band pass' of any type of UF filter as noted above is between 10 and 100 K Daltons.
    PE:

Thanks for sharing all of this. I know it must be time consuming and not just a little expensive!

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The street price for the average filter runs between $200 and $1000. You need a pump or pumps, tubing and lots of hot distilled water. You also need specialized cleaning and storage solutions.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bumping this up again.

I have a working UF system now that uses between 20KD and 50KD filters with low retention of emulsion. The system functions at 100F, 40C and 60 PSI for at least 1 hour with no failure. It uses a millipore plate and frame filter, and polycarbonate high pressure/temp tubing for output. All other lines are tygon. The pump is a diaphragm pump with seals and check valves to prevent chemical contamination.

The millipore filter must be cleaned with hot saturated Ammonium Bromide if it is to be re-used.

All fittings are plastic or stainless steel. The connections are all quick disconnect pressure fittings and they hold well at up to 100 PSI.

It is now being set up for resumption of the DVD taping sessions.

The total cost for such a system will be in the range of $1500 and is suitable for emulsions from 100 ml to about 1 liter with wash times running about 1 hour. It can concentrate an emulsion by up to 30% with a loss of about 15 ml of the original emulsion solution. The filters at $200 each will have to be replaced on a certain schedule of use which is TBD.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Cool - I look forward to the details!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Typically amazing stuff, PE. Very nice.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin