Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,253   Online: 998

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New emulsion

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    it doesn't sound that bad. i'll let you know after i try a few times. After your book comes out of course.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guys;

The Azo type emulsion takes less than 1 hour from start to finish, the Kodabromide/Brovira takes about 2 hours, and this emulsion will probably take about 3 hours. Now, that is not dependant on amount, you can make 100 grams or 1 kg in the same 1 hour when you are working on the Azo type emulsion.

This is not rocket science the way I do it, but I will include a chapter on the high end stuff.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    So, I can quit doing this...or I can go on.
    For the sake of all things holy, please!!! Keep going!!!!

I'm praying like crazy for the emulsion...

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Looking forward to all of the new info!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    g'day Ron

please "go on", but just what are you going on to?

please explain to those of us who have not been closely following your posts, what are you hoping to achieve?

Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You've been ominously quiet for a while now Ron - I thought something interesting must be coming up soon!
    ISO 40 raw sounds very promising - 100 when sensitised even more so.
    I'll await developments with considerable interest...
    Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sounds promising, Ron.

For those who haven't been following Ron's posts, he's been working on developing emulsions that people can make at home without exotic equipment or industrial machinery. I've seen results on his Azo-like silver chloride paper, and it's very impressive. There are reasons to choose it over real Azo. An ISO 40 or 100 emulsion could be coated on film base or glass plates and used in cameras. Maybe we're not facing that necessity right now, but it would be good to have people who can coat their own silver gelatin dry plates, if it does become a necessity, and some might have creative reasons for doing it right now, or one might want to coat plates just out of intellectual curiosity.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy5c View Post
    it doesn't sound that bad. i'll let you know after i try a few times. After your book comes out of course.
    All of us, emulsion makers and aspiring emulsion makers, are eagerly awaiting Ron's efforts. They are sure to make a significant contribution to the field. But, if you really want to make your own silver gelatin emulsion - either plate, negative, or paper - you don't have to wait.

The website dedicated to silver gelatin emulsion making , http://www.thelightfarm.com/, has enough information to get anyone going. In addition, there is the excellent book, Silver Gelatin, by Martin Reed and Sarah Jones, along with the classic primary sources, Baker and Wall. The Light Farm literature list gives them, and others, by title and author.

I encourage you (to put it mildly) to give things a try. Ron's efforts will undoubtedly contribute to the speed of the emulsions, and maybe an increased diversity of types of emulsions, but everything you need to get started is already in the public domain. Have fun!!

Denise Ross

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Denise has said it all and said it well.

I am trying to make a range of emulsions for papers and films that can be made by the low end and mid end enthusiast and also describe in the book the high end of things. Some things will be easy and some things will be hard. Some will be very hard and also expensive.

I want to prevent the sciences involved here from dying out.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A side note

I have not been enthusiastic about doing my own coating or emulsion making.... until Sunday.

Sunday was mini meeting of NY APUGers and a shoot. David brought along the Traveling Portfolio in which Alex Hawley had a print made on Rons' AZO emulsion. I was blown away.

This is a visual testament to making your own and is really seed for the imagination. I will be 'open' to this in the future.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin