Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,719   Posts: 1,514,838   Online: 963

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    The Fuji unit would probably work, but at 12 ml / square foot it would need a rather big capacity cartridge, IDK for sure.

As for silk screen, sure it would work, but it is wasteful of emulsion and leaves an uneven silk type pattern quite unlike coating on silk paper IIRC. It leaves a lot of emulsion on the applicator and on the screen which must be washed down the drain or somehow saved. Saving it seems unlikely to me.

PE
    Actually it would be pretty economical. The ink or emulsion is scraped off the squeegee and off the screen with a chip of cardboard or plastic and is returned to it's container. Very little has to be washed off. As for the pattern, a 300 mesh polyester screen leaves very little pattern and a 300 mesh stainless steel mesh even less. Most ripples settle as the medium sits and dries down. Thickness can be varied by squeegee angle and how rounded the sqeegee edge is. I worked at a metal decorating plant, the techniques there are much different from what you may be familiar with for tee shirts and much better than for making posters.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas View Post
    Actually it would be pretty economical. The ink or emulsion is scraped off the squeegee and off the screen with a chip of cardboard or plastic and is returned to it's container. Very little has to be washed off. As for the pattern, a 300 mesh polyester screen leaves very little pattern and a 300 mesh stainless steel mesh even less. Most ripples settle as the medium sits and dries down. Thickness can be varied by squeegee angle and how rounded the sqeegee edge is. I worked at a metal decorating plant, the techniques there are much different from what you may be familiar with for tee shirts and much better than for making posters.
    Well, if you think it will work, give it a try. Liquid light should work as a commercially available emulsion.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, if you think it will work, give it a try. Liquid light should work as a commercially available emulsion.

PE
    I'll let you know soon as I get some together. I have an old screen stashed in the basement, Ill just have to find the emulsion and a pro quality sqeegee.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    The Dimatix is for printing "specialty" inks -- electronic materials, biomaterials, jetted coatings and overcoats, lab-on-a-chip devices, etc. It could probably handle emulsions, but is probably overkill for the job...
    Maybe not overkill. What could be considered 'overkill' is probably dependent on the end-use goal. It's been my impression that a number of people are interested in a cottage industry goal - film or paper. If the Dimatix could be configured to produce a good product with minimum time and materials waste, it could be just the ticket for the next George Eastman.

I hope someone gives it a try (and writes about it on The Light Farm )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did I over look something here?

"To minimize waste of expensive fluids, each cartridge reservoir has a capacity of 1.5 ml....Each single-use cartridge has "

So how many 10 by 8's can you print with 1.5 mL?!!
    Another problem is the 'single use' nature....

But theoretically speaking, what IS the maximum area
    1.5 mL of a thin, non-viscous liquid can cover?

Does anyone here know the coverage of regular printer ink, per mL?

PE also notes that a bigger cartridge would be necessary...
    but I doubt it could just be plug and play... is there room for a bigger cartridge?

Perhaps what is needed is not a cartridge, but a live feed.

Ray
    Last edited by Ray Rogers; 04-06-2008 at 03:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ray;

My printer contains probably about 10 - 20 ml in several cardridges and can make many many color prints or documents from a load of cartridges. I would guess though that if you averaged out all of my prints over use of the cartridges it would be about 1 ml/print.

This is not enough coverage of any sort of emulsion to get a dmax image. Emulsions need to be about 1 kg/mole or 1 kg/0.5 mole to be coatable and papers use from 1000 - 5000 mg of silver per square meter to achieve that good black black and a high enough contrast.

I doubt if 1.5 ml will do the job.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think if one of the goals is to print solar cells like they say then they would eventually have a direct feed unit vs. single disposable 1.5ml cartridges. It will also probably gain capability to print onto a roll as well. It will be interesting to see where the dimatix is in about 5yrs time..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it works, further discussion should be on hybrid photo.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ray;

This is not enough coverage of any sort of emulsion to get a dmax image...
    I doubt if 1.5 ml will do the job.

PE
    Ron,

That was my point.

I agree with you on the numbers, but I can't say I know of any papers that have that much silver... 5000 mg would seem very high except in special cases....

Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I think if one of the goals is to print solar cells like they say then they would eventually have a direct feed unit vs. single disposable 1.5ml cartridges. It will also probably gain capability to print onto a roll as well. It will be interesting to see where the dimatix is in about 5yrs time..
    That will indeed be interesting!
    Who knows, this could even hold some promise as a new industrial method!
    :o
    If someone follows its development, by all means post a notice here for those of us who never travel beyond their own borders!

Ray

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin