Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,155   Online: 799

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Fotospeed LE30 liquid emulsion - how do I get the best results

I have bought a small 30 ml bottle of liquid emulsion from Fotospeed. I have never tried this type of product before. I have bought some very nice paper and I have some glass plates. I want to try both in my camera.
    Fotospeed says the sensitivity is about ISO320. Does this match Your experiences ? Is there anything I can/should do to make it easier for me or get better results. All input is very welcome.
    If a man does not keep in step with his fellows it may be because he hears a different drummer... Thoreau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This emulsion is presumably a paper emulsion and not panchromatic, ie it can be used with a safe-light, so that ISO320 is a paper speed not a film speed.

You could have a look at Martin Reed's excellent book "Silver Gelatin" now back in print.

Essentially most of the commercial emulsions now available are usually a Grade 3 (approx) paper emulsion repackaged, although one is variable contrast, so treat them once coated and dry exactly like the comparable paper emulsion.

So you could do some quick trials using a comparable RC paper in your camera to get a fairly good idea of how best to expose & process to get good negatives, before you start trying to coat your own plates.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just to give you an idea Ilford Multigrade has an ISO P200 when used with a Multigrade filter for enlarging, Ilfospeed ISO P500.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Falkenberg View Post
    Fotospeed says the sensitivity is about ISO320. Does this match Your experiences ? Is there anything I can/should do to make it easier for me or get better results. All input is very welcome.
    That isn't camera ISO - there's an ISO specification for paper speed this relates to, and it's way way slower. On home-coated plates using this emulsion (or similar) I was finding it about 1 ISO. It's also highly contrasty in camera usage, and you may need to look at a suitable developer to restrain this.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin