Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,937   Posts: 1,585,632   Online: 722

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

How to store coated dry plates the best way ?

I am thinking about coating a batch of plates, but was wondering about what is the best way to store them until I use them. I know they have to be stored in a light tight box, but what is the best way to pack the plates ? How do I avoid to damage the emulsion ?
    If a man does not keep in step with his fellows it may be because he hears a different drummer... Thoreau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been stacking mine with sheets of YUPO polypropylene watercolor paper between each plate. I use half of a 9x12 sheet for 5x7in plates. YUPO is a little on the expensive side, but it's tough, reusable, and smooth enough I know it won't abrade the emulsion. Make sure, of course, that the plates are good and dry before stacking. Keep the box small enough that the plates can't knock around too much.

Best of luck,
    d

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Any recommandations on a good box ? Does it have to have some kind of ventilation ? Could a flightcase be used ?
    If a man does not keep in step with his fellows it may be because he hears a different drummer... Thoreau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a black plastic 8x10 clamshell paper safe. I've had it for years, so I don't know if they're still made. It's not ventilated, but I've been using my plates within a couple weeks of coating them. I don't know anything about long term storage. I'd be willing to guess that heat and humidity wouldn't be a great idea. And like film, if you decide to refrigerate the plates (and I never have) you'd want to store them airtight and bring them back up to room temperature before you broke the packaging to avoid condensation.

re: flightcase: I don't know. If it's solid and lightproof and doesn't seem to off-gas anything that could potentially fog emulsion (and I don't know what that would be) I'd give it a try.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin