Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,750   Posts: 1,515,751   Online: 1113

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it works for other alternative products such as carbon etc.... then it is an acceptable quality product for those purposes. I used that gelatin until I ran into unaccounted for speed, and problems with stability during melt holding which became longer than 1 hour as my coating sessions stretched longer. I started making more and more paper for others to try and sheet #1 was not exactly like sheet #20 or 40 or 50 in some cases. I suspected gelatin, hardener, surfactant and the actual ripening time of the emulsion. It appears that it was 95% gelatin and 5% ripening time which is easily corrected. Any residual can be fixed by tweaking stabilzer.

I think that this is self explanatory!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format

Alphabet soup! Mmm, Mmm, Good!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    It appears that it was 95% gelatin and 5% ripening time which is easily corrected. Any residual can be fixed by tweaking stabilzer.

PE
    My point exactly!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    I think it's that Gelatin A fogs and is not truly inert - as it should be and for which it was being sold as. While Gelatin B is inert.

I think I would have to disagree with the statement that it is a "good quality product" if it did not meet one of the primary characteristics it was supposed to have.

It still can be used for other uses for which gelatin can be used, but just not as inert gelatin.
    It may not be that clear cut.
    The gelatin may or may not be as described.
    But even if it is
    These things are relative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
    My point exactly!
    I guess I don't get your point then.

Sorry.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I guess I don't get your point then.

Sorry.

PE
    What you acheive by a change in gelatin... can probably also be obtained other methods.

Thats all.

But as you yourself said, it could involve quite a bit of testing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What I achieve in the old gelatin can be achieved by other methods using the new gelatin. I cannot clean up the old gelatin though to make it behave cleanly like a new one. Therefore you may have misunderstood my comment.

Even the new good gelatin allows a very very tiny change during extended melt holds of 8 hours or so. This tiny change can be damped out or eliminated by longer ripening and/or more stabilzer. I cannot think offhand of adding anything suitable to the old gelatin that would definitively clean it up. And besides, the effect may vary from batch to batch if the manufacturer is not aware of the presence of anything.

So, what I can achieve in gelatin only works in one direction, not the other. And, the solution that works in one direction, on the good gelatin with a tiny change is a very well known and simple set that can be easily solved.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    So now if I've got some of this mystery active gelatin, I should be able to make it into intert gelatin, right?

Swell it with some 3% hydrogen peroxide perhaps, let it react for a bit, and then wash and dry it again?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    So now if I've got some of this mystery active gelatin, I should be able to make it into intert gelatin, right?

Swell it with some 3% hydrogen peroxide perhaps, let it react for a bit, and then wash and dry it again?
    Kirk;

Where did you buy it? (rhetorical, I know but don't need to spread the info)

Call the source, they will tell you where it came from. This will clarify it all.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    OK - Hypothetically speaking then...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin