Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,279   Online: 779

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by rob champagne View Post
    Thats better...
    Perhaps not on reflection...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Nice!

Kirk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ron, those are micromushrooms. I think you need to add antifungal ointment to your emulsion.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Dip, brush-on or spray-on?

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The data was in a .jpg file when I got it. The old way was on film, but I guess they do it electronically now days.

The emulsion itself was raw out of the can stuff, never coated. That gives the most reliable data. The sample preparation process is long and tedious to insure you see the grains clearly.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was just thinking how cool a mise en abyme it would be to have an EM photo of film that is printed on film, and then make an EM of that photo in turn, ad infinitum...
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rob champagne View Post
    Perhaps not on reflection...
    Well, the 14 sided figure can be looked at in two ways if that is your concern.

If you start with an octahedron or a cube and etch off the corners to be flat, either way you end up with 14 sides. Now, further round off the remaining corners and you get what you see. Continuing the ripening and digestion will eventually result in nearly spherical grains which is also not a bad condition.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Maybe this would be a good place to talk about what the different crystal shapes are, and what the advantages of one over the other would be.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Well, the 14 sided figure can be looked at in two ways if that is your concern.

If you start with an octahedron or a cube and etch off the corners to be flat, either way you end up with 14 sides. Now, further round off the remaining corners and you get what you see. Continuing the ripening and digestion will eventually result in nearly spherical grains which is also not a bad condition.

PE
    I think that if you visualise your truncated octahedron from one direction, that it has a lot more corners than the ones in the photo. They are different from what I can see. But you are the researcher so you tell me.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Cutting the corner's off the cubes sounds like a good start, but how does one get the flat T-grains like you see in the SEM images Kodak publishes?

Ron, you say sherical is not bad (which it seems like you've got some tending in that direction as well), but don't we want to maximize the surface area of the grain to it's volume to make the most efficient use of our silver?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin