Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,457   Online: 867

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

How long will photopaper keep

I have just got a lot of paper Kodak, Ilford and Agfa. Most expire 2006. It has been stored at constant temperature, but not frozen. How long will it be good for ?

These are the types of paper:
    Ilford MG IV RC De Luxe
    Kodak Proffessional Polymax II RC Lustre and Glossy and semimat
    Agfa Multicontrast Premium MCP 310 RC Glossy
    If a man does not keep in step with his fellows it may be because he hears a different drummer... Thoreau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think you will find that if the paper does develop some fog, it can be treated in benzotriazole.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Many years in a cool dry place, it just gets a little slower4 and less contrasty. I've never found I've needed to use Benzotriazole.

My oldest paper is about 40 - 50 years old and fine.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In my experience (note, I said MY) the fiber based papers go first...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's weird... in my experience RC papers go first... I have bought very old fiber paper and never had a problem. Many RC papers are developer-incorporated and don't last long, in MY experience.
    Keith Ostertag
    keitho at strucktower dot com

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Some keeps for decades, some dies in months. In my experience AGFA gets slowly foggy, Kodak dies completely, and Ilford is almost good as new - these are papers from the 1980's that I'm still using (or trying to use, in the case of the AGFA).
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It depends on the formula of the emulsion and the paper type. In general, FB papers go first but there are exceptions. In general, papers with incorporated developers go first. I have given a test here for ID papers that is simple to run. The ones that test strongly positive go more rapidly than those that test weakly (black vs gray).

Simon Galley insists that Ilford papers do not contain a developing agent, but they do test positive. Something in the paper allows development to take place when treated with 4% Sodium Hydroxide.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just printed 10 - 11'X14" Ilford MG Fiber prints from a box that was given to me by an Ilford sales rep some 15 years agofor a special project I was doing. A fellow by the name of Phil Nielsen who used to be an Ilford rep in Western Canada (B.C.).
    It worked great! I didn't need any Benzitriazole. I didn't get any fogging and the contrast was amazing. The tones were beautifully creamy and the separation between tones incredible. I was so impressed. I didn't have any new paper and I was desparate to print some images for an upcoming juried show.

SMG

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have some old Kodak paper, need to look up what it is actually, but it has not even been opened once. I am going to try a sheet or two to see if it even works any more. I don't know how it was stored, heat and humidity wise, but it will be interesting to see if anything actually comes up on the print.

Cheers,
    Sean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Paper Neg time!
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin