Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,545   Online: 1104

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you for the explanation.
    Can I get a cheap amplifier for my small living room or are they only for the "audiophiles" with deep pockets?
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    Vacuum tubes handle over-driving differently than solid-state devices. When a vacuum tube amplifier is driven to "clipping" it "clips" softly. When a solid-state amplifier is driven to clipping it clips abruptly with massive distortion. It is the soft-clipping that makes vacuum tubes more appealing to guitar players, as the distortion from overdriving can be controlled very well, and produce sound that guitar players like.
    It is very similar to the way digital and film handle highlights.

The word 'distortion', though technically correct, unfortunately conjurs up the idea of a harsh rattly sound to the layman. Distortion really refers to any deviation from a linear response. In valve/tube terms, it is a slight deviation which can make it more pleasing to listen to..... And they look cool too!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram View Post
    Freaking crazy luddites.
    Next they will be bringing sailboats, bicycles, brick stoves, analog clocks and classic guitars back!
    They will stop at nothing to burn computers, turn the clock back and return us to the stone age!
    As long as they leave us indoor plumbing and air conditioning, I'm good!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If you've got a few minutes to spare, check this out:

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/200...ccum_tube.html
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I can only hope that should film production cease by Kodak, other international manufacturers will continue to supply us with film.
    My sentiments are quite other: I wish Kodak to continue and that all the small and largely incompetent suppliers go belly up at the soonest opportunity. In my book the quality of product from small film producers is awful.

I am not sure the analogy holds: it doesn't take much technology to make an audio/receiving vacuum tube; the appeal of vacuum audio isn't performance but rather the lack thereof - the cyanotype of the electronics world, as it were.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    It is very similar to the way digital and film handle highlights.
    Excellent example!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    My sentiments are quite other: I wish Kodak to continue and that all the small and largely incompetent suppliers go belly up at the soonest opportunity. In my book the quality of product from small film producers is awful.

I am not sure the analogy holds: it doesn't take much technology to make an audio/receiving vacuum tube; the appeal of vacuum audio isn't performance but rather the lack thereof - the cyanotype of the electronics world, as it were.
    I suspect it is easier to make a light sensitive emulsion. Here is an example of a guy that makes vacuum tubes. Seems like a lot of equipment is needed compared to home-made film. http://dailymotion.alice.it/video/x3...pe-triode_tech

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thank God for the Soviet Union.

And having tried to home-make film, I figured it's easier to make vacuum tubes at home...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only thing I have left from the tube days is a "Williamson" designed mono amplifier. It weighs in at about 40 lbs and will produce about 20 watts of audio.

I began with tubes, (as a electronics tech) and still like the concept of the simplicity of the tube amplifier designs. I'm of an age where trying to discern the sound "quality" of tube or solid state would be ridiculous.
    I cannot see where any well audio designed system, tube or solid state, would have any measurable advantage over the other, but I'll leave that discussion to others.

Shooter
    35mm
    Are there any tube systems left on the market which you can purchase new?

How much do they go for? I don't really know much about tubes, except that I liked the sound of a custom built setup my dad had a long time ago.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin