Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,569   Online: 1010

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Question about pre-made Emulsions

It seems Rockland, Roelli, and Kentmere all market Variable contrast photo emulsions that you can use at home to coat objects.

My question is this: It was my understanding that the way a variable-contrast photo paper is made, is to coat it with 2 emulsions..one high contrast and one low contrast, both having sensitivity to different colors of light, so the color filters one uses can influence the final contrast.

How do they get variable contrast characteristics into ONE emulsion in these products?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No variable contrast emulsions are coated as one emulsion and always have been. So there's no difference.

Ron (PE) has given details of how Multi Contrast emulsions are made in the Emulsion making section

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 08-23-2008 at 02:21 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think Ron mentions a couple of exceptions (earlier papers mostly, IIRC), but as Ian said the two emulsions are generally mixed together and coated as one layer.

Peter

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin