Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,847   Online: 1004

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi All,

As some of you know, I am a voracious book collector. I basically look for anything with 'photographic emulsion' in the title, and if the price is right, I takes my chances. I just lucked onto a doozy (I hope). 'The Photographic Emulsion' by Carroll, Hubbard and Kretschman', Focal Press. No copyright except the description that the articles are reproductions of papers written between 1928 and 1934. The book is almost entirely about sensitization - chemical and spectral. Two chapters that look like they especially pertain to this thread are titled, 'Spectral Sensitization of Photographic Emulsions' and 'The Photographic Emulsion: Variables in Sensitization by Dyes'. There are enough tables and charts to make our little emulsion making hearts go pitter-pat.

The weather has just plain been too nice for me to keep a few promises I made about starting to get my library onto The Light Farm, but this book is a real kick in the pants. I'll get at least the above-mentioned two chapters posted tonight, and try to add a bit of the book (followed by other books) every day. A journey of a thousand pages...

Denise

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Of all of the dyes made only a few passed muster and made it into products.
    I think part of what Denise and I are interested in is finding more generally available materials and tools with which to make emulsions. And while some people are interested in reproducing Azo or Brovira or Type 55, I think we want to find ways to apply what's been learned in the past for the future. I know you do to, Ron.

But it seems like if we are going to enlist more people into the practice of film-speed emulsion making, then perhaps we can cut a few corners here and there. 2 grams of dye for nearly $400 is a really big investment. And I commend both you Ron and Bill for taking the leap. But what about the guy that can't spend that much, or for a hobby, doesn't want to spend that much. (I know, photography in general is the wrong hobby for the person that doesn't want to spend much money...)

I think it would be really great for us to spend some time and effort to find some less expensive, maybe not cutting edge or commercially preferred, but still functional dyes that we can use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, take a look at the Kodak dye list I posted here previously. They still sell those, and the prices, like all exotic organics are going to be high. However, remember that Chlorophyll was the first red sensitizer. I have seen it done! It isn't good, but it works!

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    'The Photographic Emulsion' by Carroll, Hubbard and Kretschman', Focal Press.
    Denise - it looks like I'll be coming to Newport on Saturday for the big shindig. Could you bring this book along so I can take a look?

Kirk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    Denise - it looks like I'll be coming to Newport on Saturday for the big shindig. Could you bring this book along so I can take a look?

Kirk
    Ya shoor, yeh betcha. (Sorry, I'm practicing up for my annual trip to Minnesota next week- right smack in the middle of Fargo, i.e. Brainerd ).

Glad you're going to be able to make it to Newport!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Well, take a look at the Kodak dye list I posted here previously.
    Do you remember which thread title that was in? I can't find anything on this site with searches, even though I can find stuff on the rest of the internet, with Mr. Peabody and Sherman's help, all the way back to the beginning of the internet...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Here it is again

What the heck. I can just take up more of Sean's disk storage with another upload. Note, there are two IR dyes at the head of the list.

I have tried to get information on these, but cannot. If you can, let me know. All Easman Organic Chemical numbers in Rochester are shut down, or refer you to Tennesee Eastman, but TE knows nothing about these dyes. The EOC building is there but the parking lot is empty. The plant behind it appears to be functioning.

PE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sensitizing dyes.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Note, there are two IR dyes at the head of the list.

[SPACE]

I have tried to get information on these, but cannot. If you can, let me know.PE
    Ron,
    Space Confuses Me!... what kind of information do you want,
    and on which dyes; the 1st two? or the whole lot?

If it's price, forget it, I haven't a clue.
    But just from glancing at the list I belive these are mostly the more inexpensive ones.

Ray

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    But what about the guy that can't spend that much, or for a hobby, doesn't want to spend that much. (I know, photography in general is the wrong hobby for the person that doesn't want to spend much.

Kirk,
    I will not step on lines or cracks.
    I assure you that I niether can, nor want to spend that much money. But I am obssesive-compulsive. Must have me precious. Me precious be so gooood and fiiine. Me wants me precious. Must have the precious...........
    Bill, me precious.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Bill - yes, I should have added obsessive-compulsive to the list. And I'm that way sometimes too. Ask my credit card companies...

But if we can find a set of dyes, that cost say $25/gram or less, and they work at 70% of the effectiveness of the high-end dyes, then I think I would be happy. I mean, afterall, I don't need to reproduce the look of Acros or T-Max, as I'd just prefer to buy them if I want them. (And I do and will, at least for Acros.)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin