Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,034   Online: 892

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After spending all of that money on a gram each of 5 dyes that I tested, to get 2 good ones, I should have some data, but no, I don't. I was told flat out that this is not available. These dyes are not listed on their web site either AFAIK. So......

And, one of them was stamped with the warning (selenium containing dye) and Paul advised me against using it, so here it sits, a HAZMAT item that cost $100+ and unusable. Another was nearly totally insoluable in every solvent I tested! So, for my 6 dyes I got 2 "good" ones, one insoluable, one a HAZMAT item and I forget the status of #5. Oh, thats right, it didn't work! So much for that.

I have also tried a second source and have 4 more samples. I have not tested these as they must be treated with particular care (not caution), to get them to work. One must be titrated with trimethyl amine first and then dissolved in alcohol just to get it to work! I have not gotten around to that pain in the ****.

Ray, are you happy?

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I should add that I found a source for an IR dye that could be used in experiments, but the company told me that it would only sell the dye in 1 Kg lots, as it has to be made to order, it goes bad rapidly and it would cost me $50,000 for the 1 kg bottle.

Nice deal. Right?

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If you look long and hard enough at the W.H. Sands web site, you can see that they have SDA3057 listed on a page that's headed with "Benzothiazoles" http://www.hwsands.com/productlists/benzothlist.htm and says it has a max abs. at 548 nm, an absorbtivity of 80,500, and a solubility of 1gm into30ml (MeOH).

For SDF8006 (I could not find SDE8006, so I'm assuming it's a typo), it has a graph of absorbance on this page http://www.hwsands.com/productlists/...sible_dyes.htm and it says max abs 559 nm, a solubility of 1gm into30ml (MeOH), and a black appearance. OK, no chemical family for that one...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Did you guys get MSDS sheets for your dyes? Maybe thay have chemical class listed on there?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    $50,000 for the 1 kg bottle.

Nice deal. Right?

PE
    You guys want to go in on it together? ;^)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That gives absorbance when in solution and does not relate well to adsorbed spectral sensitivity. It also gives no structures. They didn't have that a while back. And, my bottle is labeled SDE8006. I just checked the original H. W. Sands bottle.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got a spectral curve just as you see on their web site. It was sent via e-mail. Along with one of them was a very bad scan of a structure that was not decipherable due to the scan errors. I asked for a new copy and was told that the scan was sent in error and structural data were not available.

The selenium dye came in a glassine envelope, not a bottle and it came with a warning that it was a selenazole (IIRC). It remains untouched in that sealed glassine envelope in a sealed bag in my fridge. When Paul Gilman saw that, he told me that I didn't have the equipment to handle it as it was quite toxic. From the behavior of the other dye that gave red sensitization, and the partially corrupt scan, Paul was able to deduce a possible structure. I have not published it because of the element of doubt. However, its behavior in tests indicated it was correct and thats about it.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I looked at the bottle again, and it says SDE8006, but I looked at the data sheet and it is headed SDE8006 but the spectral curve has a label below it saying SDF8006. So, I guess they either changed their nomenclature or made several errors during sample prep and shipment. Your guess is as good as mine.

The note I looked at also warns me about the selenium dye.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hi Ron,
    Here is an obvious(to me) question. What is the advantage of SDE8006 over erythrosine. Both are green sensative dyes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Either is good, but the method of use is far different. If you use the same methods for each (either method), one works and the other one messes up the emulsion. Also, Erythrosine is less effective than SDE8006. The exact methods and levels of both dyes are described in the handouts.

PE

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin