Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,144   Online: 887

Page 1 of 17 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Panchromatic Emulsion

Hello,
    After about 1 year of planning, thinking,purchasing equipment for working in total darkness and purchasing chemical,as well as becoming practiced in blue sensative emulsion making, I am about to actualy attempt to make a panchromatic silver-gelatin emulsion.
    My first attempt will be to make Jim Browning's Matrix Emulsion and apply the suggestions that Ron made on 7/28/07 on this Forum to this end.
    My purpose in starting this Thread is to inquire if anyone here has attempted to make a homemade Pan emulsion. I would like to read about your experiences. Mabe someone has already posted about such activities within this forum and I just have not found those posts.
    I would welcome any post describing your attempts, succesful or not.
    I will be posting my own results on this Thread.
    Regards,
    Bill

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Bill, I've not tried yet. What dye are you going to use??

Kirk

PS - how did your hand surgury go?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hi Kirk,
    Back about a yeae ago, Ron poasted his ideas about how Jim Brownings Dye Matrix emulsion could be converted to an in-camera pan emulsion. He recommended two specific dyes and those are what I will use. $150/GRAM + Conveniance Charge=$375!. You can search out Jim's recipe and Ron's suggested changes on this Forum.
    I am having my stitches out today.IHOPE TO BE WORKING ON EMULSIONS IN A FEW DAYS.
    Regards,
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bill;

Before spectrally sensitzing the emulsion, please check it out beforehand with only blue sensitivity to insure that it has the desired speed, fog and contrast. Then do the dye work.

Also, remember that good green sensitization will give a reddish colored emulsion and a good red sensitization will give a greenish colored emulsion.

PE

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hi Bill, You may want to add a gold chloride sensitizer as well as the hypo addition. You will want to sample the emulsion at various times during the sensitization - at Fotokemika they coated glass plates, and exposed them without drying. They would expose and develop, and look for fogging or a change in the color of a step wedge image. They didn't fix the plates, just examined it in room light for a few seconds. You will probably get a bit more fogging with the gold sensitization, but at least a stop greater speed. REgards - Jim Browning

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Bill - that sounds great! I'm glad the hand is coming along.

Would you be willing to sell a couple dozen milligrams of your dye?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dyetransfer View Post
    ...they coated glass plates, and exposed them without drying. They would expose and develop, and look for fogging or a change in the color of a step wedge image. They didn't fix the plates, just examined it in room light for a few seconds.
    Hi Jim,

You watched then do this?
    How long diid it take between coating and judgment?
    After this sort of test, what were their possible moves?

Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    Would you be willing to sell a couple dozen milligrams of your dye?
    To others?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ray;

We did something similar at Kodak. You test samples for the maximum amount of sulfur + gold and the maximum time and the maximum temperature. It is an emulsion factor we call EOF or Extent Of Finish and is measured in KCal / mole of silver. So our method, while similar is quantized.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Yes Ron and Jim,
    I will certainly test the emulsion befor spectral sensitzation. And at every step durring the entire process.And I will try a gold chloride sensitizer(Stiegmann's?), after I haved looked at it without one.
    Making the Big asumption that other things go well, do you reccomend glyoxal as a hardiner? I don't intend to harden anything until I have my other ducks in a row?
    Also, I will work in smaller batches than Jim's formula calls for. My first batch will be for 1 liter,total .
    Thanks,
    Bill

Page 1 of 17 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin