Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,547   Online: 831

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Kirk--The web site doesn't say the strength, sorry.

Joe
    There is no such thing as taking too much time, because your soul is in that picture. -Ruth Bernhard

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Joe - did they have MSDS there for their products. I'm sure that would list it. I looked for them but I did not notice any.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Denise - I'm hoping to make plates and have them good for several (6 or more) months. So I've no issue with letting them cure for the week.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    [QUOTE=Hans2008;690916]SigmaAldrich has it.

Sigma-Aldrich will "take you to the cleaner`s" They do with all chemicals and are a "last resort". B&S get their amino-silane from HIS Glassworks. You can buy it directly from HIS G.
    Their are silanes made with all of the standard active groups, including epoxy,di-amine and on and on. The Chinese get realy creative with them.
    Go to Union Carbide and/or Dow Cemical 9or Dow Corning, I forget which) For an assortment of these little miricles of modern chemistry.
    Cheers,
    Bill

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Silane MSDS

B&S didn't have the silane MSDS. I found this one (attached pdf) and sent Dana Sullivan a copy.

He called his supplier and the woamn he spoke with was less than helpful and didn't know the concentration.
    Attached Files
    There is no such thing as taking too much time, because your soul is in that picture. -Ruth Bernhard

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sounds like real nasty stuff -- I may have to order some and give it a try! (for using glass as a final support in the carbon process.) But Bill's method on the Light Farm site does sound more sane.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've seen Bill clean glass, and it looked like it works really well. Regular household products that everyone is used to dealing with.

And my kitchen was even cleaner when he was finished than when he started - all the tile sparkled! ;^)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The MSDS says it all. I avoid this material due to the decomposition products when it contacts water. It is not so good itself either.

If you wish to use it, use I suggest goggles, lab coat, gloves and old clothes. Wash the clothes and lab coat after use.

There are better ways.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hi,
    The way in which I use amino-silane is not to paint glass with it. I do a controled chemical reaction under a fume hood. I stoped applying it directly to glass a long time ago. That method works sometimes and sometimes not.
    I agree with Ron. There are better ways to prevent frilling and emulsion lifting from glass. The best of which is proper cleaning of the glass.
    Bill

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hi Vaughn,
    I am not doing carbon right now, but my friend who dose carbon on glass dumps a s**t-load of 5% amino -silsne on the glass. He used 4 coats without whipeing. He gets good results that way. But I think that even he has abandoned silane in favore of other things.
    Bill

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin