Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,456   Online: 1147

Shooter
    Medium Format

Proper hardener concentrations

For hardening my emulsions I have only ever used ChromeAlum and Chromium Acetate. The ChromeAlum needs to be used at a weight of 0.5% of the weight of the dissolved gelatin and the Chromium Acetate needs to be used at half that amount.

I would now like to experiment with Glyoxal ,Gluteraldehyde and Mucobromic Acid. Does anyone know what amounts are best to use for those?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use all hardeners at the same concentration and weight/unit of gelatin. Nothing really critical about them unless you want to control the aldehyde effect on keeping. Aldehydes tend to cause after hardening and also fog emulsions.

I suggest mucochloric acid over mucoobromic. I also suggest it be used mixed with formalin for best results.

Actually, I don't suggest Glutaraldehyde due to the extreme toxicity of the fumes. I have read that there are outstanding lawsuits on this over the use of a glutaraldehyde hardening solution for some processes due to toxic reactions by some.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah that mucobromic acid gets me every time, especially when I'm congested.
    I brake for fixer!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin