Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,138   Online: 1060

Thread: Silver Gallon

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Silver Gallon

OK - I enjoy funky units, as long as I don't have to use them. So I have to ask, what's a "Silver Gallon"?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Didn't your source explain it Kirk?

At Kodak, we used a measure called a silver gallon. I never used it myself, but it was a funky measure of silver content in a raw melted emulsion. I myself used a more standard unit Kg of melt / mole of silver.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Well, I thought I would just toss that out there for whoever wanted to have fun with it.

I see my Duffin book often uses "ripening volume" in ml melt/mole Ag. Probably very similar to your kg/mole Ag. Just the density difference between them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We found that due to variations, the only exact measure was to do an analysis of the emulsion to determine the silver content. However, Kg / mole eliminated the density variations inherent in volumetric measure.

In any case, we developed a series of density equations for most everything including mixtures and temperature effects. This model helped us convert units handily to better than 0.01% from 20 - 40 deg C with things as diverse as NaBr/KI mixtures and AgNO3 up to 4 molar. It also included models for AgX.

Ammonium Hydroxide, with a negative density profile was one of the more difficult as were many volatiles.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    In any case, we developed a series of density equations for most everything including mixtures and temperature effects. This model helped us convert units handily to better than 0.01% from 20 - 40 deg C with things as diverse as NaBr/KI mixtures and AgNO3 up to 4 molar. It also included models for AgX.
    Is that something Kodak published, or could we get them to publish? It would be nice to have...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's the volume of silver a person can carry walking at a speed of 1 furlong/fortnight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is a UK silver gallon larger than a US silver gallon?
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    Is that something Kodak published, or could we get them to publish? It would be nice to have...
    The equations are extremely complex. I was a member of the KP density standards committee that tested and verified the algorithms that did the calculations.

I doubt if they would be interested in publication. In fact, you would need a rather complex computer program to implement the entire series of calculations.

As for the US and Imperial silver gallon, , IDK if one ever existed. I never had to work with it. I worked with Kg/M.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin