Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,563   Posts: 1,573,353   Online: 1032

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree with ic-racer, chemdraw is good. The problem I have with several of the fancier visualizer programs is that they can't spit out textbook-simple skeleton diagrams. Chemdraw can do that and it's relatively intuitive.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Denise - I did try ACD Chem Sketch - but not for long. That could work I think.

ChemDraw - looks cool, but man, is it expensive. Or did I miss the cheap version.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by frdrx View Post
    From the realm of Free Software, there is Easychem. GChemPaint is another.
    Well, I see that's not only free as in beer, but free as in speech.\

If I was running Linux on a desktop (only servers at this point) I'd use them. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    If I was running Linux on a desktop (only servers at this point) I'd use them. Thanks.
    Assuming the computer you're on is your own, it's not that difficult to install linux to dual boot, giving you a choice of operating systems at boot time. Newer versions of linux can read/write MS Windows NTFS files so you could save bitmap or EPS output to your Windows partition if you needed that.

Both gchempaint and easychem are in Debian repositories, and appear to be in repositories for many other distributions as well, so it would only be a couple of mouse clicks to install.

Monetary cost and restrictions on usage are zero, and it wouldn't take much time.

Lee

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Lee, I'm quite familiar with Linux. I actually got a Linux System Admin certificate back in Y2K.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've used MDL ISIS/Draw (now part of Symyx).

http://www.mdl.com/downloads/index.jsp

It is a "no-fee" download.

I'm not very good with it, but it seems to have good capabilities.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks - I'll check it out. I've been playing with Marvin Draw some more, and it does what I've asked so far fairly well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin