Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,466   Online: 753

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Try Verdana. Beautiful, simple, and extremely easy to read on the web.
    Thomas - did you notice that Denise does use Verdana on the page?

<td width="503" class="text-medium text-lightgrey"><i>
    <font size="4" face="Verdana" color="#FFFFFF">'Pancho and Herman'</font></i><p>

Actually, she uses it quite a bit - I think all the light grey text is Verdana...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, that ought to shut me up right there... My apologies. I remembered wrong. Verdana is a type font suited well for printed matters.

Garamond, Century, Helvetica, Arial, and Times New Roman are what I should have written here.

Very sorry for the mistake (especially since I thought I was helping out).

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't care what the steenkin font is, I can't read it!

Apologies to all. I just cannot. It is way too hard for my eyes, even with bifocals on a large monitor. And no offence meant to either Denise or Kirk.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Website design is an art/craft all its own and there is no 'one-size-fits-all' - despite the plethora of information that would try to suggest otherwise. The evidence, if you will, is that each 'definitive' source is different from the other 'definitive' sources. There is more than just font style to consider. There is also font size and font color vs. background color. Some people do better with a strong contrast between text and background. Another person's eyes will start to blur and water if the contrast is too high. Some people like the text to be as small as possible so that as much information as possible is on the screen at any one time, so that they don't have to scroll as often. Others, of course, need large text in order to read the words.

The very best advise I've heard is that each individual web author choose the style he/she has the easiest time with. This is as good a guarantee as any that the author will want to actually write the damned thing and that the content will be complete and useful.

The best way to cope with a web style that you find inaccessible is to sweep through the text, copy it, and then paste it into Word, or similar. Then, you can change the font style and size. All this takes less than a minute. Of course, you have to be interested in said content!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    So, what did you all think of the techniques Denise presented? I'm really impressed with you system of coating and how well I've seen it done even by first time coaters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    The best way to cope with a web style that you find inaccessible is to sweep through the text, copy it, and then paste it into Word, or similar. Then, you can change the font style and size. All this takes less than a minute. Of course, you have to be interested in said content!
    Exactly! That's why I did precisely that. And it was interesting reading! I really liked reading about your variations and treatments of the same negative. And it's impressive to view how good and even the emulsion coating is!
    I'm inspired to try it some day when we run out of commercially available material, or if I magically find more time in the day (full time work, full time student, photography business - AND taking care of a family leaves very little time for experimentation, unfortunately).

Thanks,

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I'm spread too thin as it is to "correct" what I cannot read. I just don't read it! Sorry, but even if the content is good, I don't have time to fix things up.

I don't read every post here either.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you look on the web, you will find many scathing commentaries on Comic Sans. It is the opposite of everything good font design is about, and was done pretty much as a joke at Microsoft.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll start a web site using hiragana and katakana spelling everything out phonetically in the gojuonyo. All of my formulas and practically no one to read them.

PE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin