Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,159   Posts: 1,658,451   Online: 829

Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 37891011121314151617181923 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Ron:

Having seen the draft in January, here's my opinion FWIW.

Use high quality graphs and charts, thats the data. Use color where it's needed. Make it something people will read, study and enjoy as I will.

Joe
    There is no such thing as taking too much time, because your soul is in that picture. -Ruth Bernhard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Joe. Maybe I'll have 2 versions. Economy and 1st class. Just like airlines. But no search beforehand!

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    This is the best decision but will be the economy class , istanbul to delhi with arabian airlines or istanbul to los angeles with british airways ?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Mustafa:

How about the old Orient Express from Istalbul to Paris?

Joe
    There is no such thing as taking too much time, because your soul is in that picture. -Ruth Bernhard

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I prefer boxcar boxcar boxcar travel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    If I agreed to get groped, would I get the 1st class version for the Economy version cost?

Steve
    OMG. I think I might refuse to sell you a copy !!!!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm excited!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm beginning to regret both this thread and the title. You know, writing a book is not all it is cracked up to be, nor is it very easy. In any event, a lot of people are saying "where is it". Well, there are several dozen people out there who have seen draft VII of the book and have held it in their hands or read portions of it.

In any event, after review by 5 of my peers there are several major enhancements that they feel should be added and are under consideration for being added. These added items is via private communication and is over and above the editing they did on what already exists.

1. More on sensitometry and densitometry.

2. Maybe something on system design and optimization < make comments guys and gals!

3. Stirring, Mixing and Homogenizing

4. Chloro-Bromides < I ignore these and feel that they are too hard for starters

6. More detail in some sections regarding the chemistry of the stuff I do describe

Well, you see the point. I have scoped this out and it will add another 50 or so pages. I do agree that it will make a better book especially #1 and #2.

As an added item, having just taught another workshop, I feel that a rewrite of the formulas would help in clarity as some students had trouble with the format. I have changed it several times over the last 5 years of workshops and the latest was closest to the book. I don't like it and the students asked more questions.

Just tacking this on to the thread FYI.

PE

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Ron:

Save some stuff for the Revised Edition. No matter what else you put into the first edition, people will clamor for extras that you can't think of now.

I used to tell the kids that turning their paper in was more important than having it perfect.

Charley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IMHO,

1. Don't use your time explaining sensitometry and densitometry. It's the material found in any basic book.
    2. Sounds interesting.
    3. Sounds very good.
    4. Skip that if you feel that it's too hard. General principles like 2) and 3) are always more important than specific topics, which are infinite in number.
    6. Details on chemistry sound good. Many sources omit details which make them very tedious to reproduce.

So I'd say, use your time for 2, 3 and 6.

And then, seriously consider that BW/color/printing quality thing. No matter what people say in this thread, it will be a fact that a $100 price increase WILL lower the sales considerably, and WILL increase the threshold to start emulsion making with your book. I'm sure you are not doing a children's picture book here, but a product that will enable as many as possible to find the joys of emulsion making, and give some high-quality, real information thereof. Also, it will probably be kind of scientific book. So, use color as extra only if it is possible without making a huge sacrifice.

All the best, keep your emulsions stirring!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin