Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,789   Online: 707

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did any of you look at the references I gave? That is essentially what I would have to wrestle with to incorporate into the book.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PE,

Just include a hyperlink in your book to this thread. Is that possible these days with modern publishers?

If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Ray;

.....There you have it. Ok, the book is now pushed back to Christmas 2011 and I will add the math.

Howzzat? Opinions please.

PE
    If software design, this is called "feature creep", more and more bells get added, and the project never gets finished
    - Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Exactly Ian. So, the book may be published about 10 years after I'm gone to the great darkroom in the sky!

Chris, I already published a link here and no one liked it, and there is loads of this in most texts on Photographic Science but they seem to want me to repeat it! So............

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know, I was just joking.

My final thought is, don't feel like you have to go into great depth about these murky emulsions, but give it a little lip service so that a reader is at least aware of its existence and potential pitfalls.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ray;

A dilemma exists here though. There are many books on pKSp calculations including some on photography, but there are few on making emulsions with examples and formulas. There you have it. Ok, the book is now pushed back to Christmas 2011 and I will add the math.

Howzzat? Opinions please.

PE
    That is true, but I think the issues mentioned in modling are interesting and relates to real emulsions more closely than a lot of the scientific studies that use ideal or special parameters. Well, thats mostly a guess.

Actually, I was really talking about a separate book.

Ray

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    PE,

Just include a hyperlink in your book to this thread. Is that possible these days with modern publishers?

Hyperlinks come and go - we need something in the book that will last for years.

I think a few pages with short examples, as shown in the links above, would be good. Afterall, a Ksp calculation with AgCrO4 is nice, but some with AgBr vs. AgCl is much better, and would help those that are initially having difficulty with the concepts make the jump into inderstanding.

You don't need to lay it out so that they grok it, but merely enough for a normal understanding of the subject.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I can't include the entire model even if I had it. The code, as I left it, without the graphical user interface took about 3 feet (1 M) of shelf space printed in 8 point type. I could do some simple examples, but remember that this is HARD-CORE CHEMISTRY with math and logarithms and exponentiation.

Adding an edit.

Actually, we had no precise model for Cl/Br. The reason was that Chloride is a Solvent for AgCl and AgBr, as we know from its use in Microdol and other places in photography. This complex interaction further confounded the conditions when you had a mixed Cl/Br making prediction difficult. I can show single relationships and I can "guess" by weighted averages based on pKsp values, but the overall result is difficult to explain to non-chemists.

PE
    Last edited by Photo Engineer; 03-14-2011 at 11:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Did any of you look at the references I gave? That is essentially what I would have to wrestle with to incorporate into the book.

PE
    Ron:

I looked. I read. I even understood (some). Now I understand why you do not want to include Br/Cl emulsions in this volume, and I agree with you.

It seems that Br/Cl emulsions are a catch 22 situation. The more research you do and the more you think you understand about them, the less you know about them.

Close?

Joe
    There is no such thing as taking too much time, because your soul is in that picture. -Ruth Bernhard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Joe;

Just about spot on! Thanks.

PE

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin