Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,818   Posts: 1,581,645   Online: 812

Shooter
    Medium Format

Basic Question About Potassium Bromide

I've never made an emulsion, but I've been looking over the recipes and reading the threads here, and I've come up with a question.

In developing, Potassium Bromide acts as a restrainer in paper developers.

It's in a lot of emulsion formulas. Why? Is it acting as a restrainer in emulsions, too? I'm looking for an elementary answer.

Potassium Bromide and Potassium Iodide seem to be in several of the formulae for emulsions, like the "Real Emulsion" thread, above. Can you just leave out or reduce the Potassium Bromide and pick up speed? I suspect that it's in there to help fuel a reaction or create something else. Is the proportion of Potassium Bromide to Potassium Iodide somehow important? Are they working together, like in the "Real Emulsion" formula? Thanks. J.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No it's forming Silver bromide which is photo-receptive, and will reduce to silver with light & developer.

It is the key compound along with Silver Nitrate and cannot be left out !

That's the SIMPLE answer, now watch for the complex ones

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ian's right. Also, having a small excess of bromide can also help stabilize the silver halide in the finished emulsion and help prevent fogging.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin