Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,897   Posts: 1,521,015   Online: 791

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok thank you I knew their had to be an explination.That is probably the part where they had a drawing of the large wheel. I knew there had to be complete darkness after a certain stage. The part that really stood out was when it was being rolled upon the reels under full light I knew then that was NOT right.

I sure like the sound of the language that they use. It seems so smooth.

I would be so excited being around SO MUCH film !! The best I got was being around my freezer with 4 -100ft rls and 4 bulk rollers about half full !
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 02-02-2009 at 07:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PE,

The film shows some reasonably sophisticated control technology; I presume achieved with gearing and other electro-mechanical devices. Do you know when computers started to be integrated into the process control systems?

In the film, the technician seems to be mixing the emulsion "by hand", e.g. pouring a solution into the kettle at a particular time etc.

Tom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tom;

That is pretty much how I dated it to the 40s. In the 50s, the plant began using pumps and in the 60s they used a hand controller for salt. In the 70s they used a mechanical device and pumps and in the 80s everything was fully automated. We had a small lab unit run by an IBM PC and a Burr Brown board. We had a medium scale run by a home made 6809 microprocessor. It was used a lot for the first Wey and Whitely experiments. It was later upgraded to a 68000 system from Motorola.

The next size was run with a room sized kettle and a room sized Taylor computer or a Westinhouse computer. Those were pilot labs. The next higher was production. Thats about it.

Full automation was complete in the mid 80s and interconnection was ongoing at that time. The systems were connected via the modeling software which prepared disks for each scale on request. The last of the hand run stuff was gone though by 1970. It was more a matter of how fast and how much would it cost.

As for coating machines, the trough coaters were passe in the 40s. In the early 60s everything was either extrusion or slide and going to curtain coating.

The big wheel shown has nothing to do with making or coating the emulsion. That is the film support casting wheel. It used an extrusion hopper to extrude the thick cellulose acetate onto the polished wheel at a fixed rate for uniformity.

The control equipment today looks more like a Space Shuttle cockpit. The operator for most of this is in a seaparate room. Everything is set up by a team, and then someone pushes a button. The one exception is that everything is watched and there is always an operator on the front end of a coating machine.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A very interesting film, industrial archeology, but I really would like to see how it is done today, just to compare...
    Is this possible, PE?

Thanks a lot,

Philippe
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Shooter
    Multi Format

Whose your Monster Master?

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Narration in Dutch, of which I speak not one word
    Thank you Sal for bringing this film to my/our attention!
    I have seen a few of these an this one is pretty good!

I too speak no Dutch, but for those like myself who think Dutch resembles German, I LOVE the section in the near exact middle... between the addition of Cherry Kool-aid and the "Restricted Medicinal List" sections where we learn that...

"Here, as at all other stages of the work, the quality is determined by the hand of a Monster!"
    Last edited by Ray Rogers; 02-03-2009 at 03:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by leicam5 View Post
    A very interesting film, industrial archeology, but I really would like to see how it is done today, just to compare...
    Is this possible, PE?

Thanks a lot,

Philippe
    I think that the larger you go, the less you will see.

I have seen (or been in) production or controll rooms for 5 or 6 different companies now and it is similar to what PE described... 1-3 seats for the "pilots" and walls of lights, switches and gauges!

Not very interesting, actually.

But I agree, I wish we could see more... I just never found them to be very "photogenic".
    Perhaps PE knows the ideal vantage points for the creation of
    those truly "sensitizing" portraits!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Narration in Dutch, of which I speak not one word
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    I would love to hear that with English narration.
    This is an excellent opportunity for cooperation between APUG Forums... we have a Dutch Forum... Why don't we enlist their help?

Ray

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Great!!!!

Stefano
    Digital is Slow..........Analog is ROCK!!!!

Visit me at http://www.stefanogermi.com
    Visit My Portfolio in Apug

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Great movie!

Being dutch, I understood the voice over. (although he is speaking with an awefully dated accent. ) The lights are on just to show it in the film, in real process, everything is done in (near) dark. In one part, a controller uses an infrared device to check the film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At one point from what I could discern, the narrator seems to mention radioactivity, but I'm not sure where or if radioactivity would come into the film manufacturing process.

Tom.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin