Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,186   Online: 1132

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
    Someone mentioned getting help finding the original at Kodak... that is probably a dead end, GEH would be likelier, but about a year ago I inquired and came up empty - but then again, not all of their collection is in the catalogues.
    I did, but I am pretty sure the original English language film will be stored safely here in the Netherlands as well, as they must have used it as the source for creating the Dutch narration.

And we have a vast, well managed, archive of everything related to our television history here in the Netherlands that contains literally hundreds of thousands of hours of film, video and sound (radio) material going back decades. The entire archive of the Polygoon news is now managed by the "Nederlands Instituut voor Beeld en Geluid" in Hilversum, the Netherlands. They probably have it.

I am sure they can dig it up, question is, is it worth it and is someone willing to pay for the extraction of the archive and a necessary conversion to digital film format... :o

Let alone any owner / copyright issues related to putting it on the internet...
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Super flick! Thank You for Sharing!!
    ------------------------------------
    -Joe
    RB67, ETR, ETRS, F4, F5, FM3a, A1, AE1,
    Bronica-S, Mamiya-7, Yashica TLR, & many many Range finders
    ------------------------------------

Shooter
    Large Format
    Could they have been discussing using radioactive alpha emitters to remove static electricity from the acetate roll before coating? Polonium-210 static brushes on an industrial scale?

Just as Kodak would never reveal the details of today's coating operation, in 1958, they were probably just as concerned about what the competition could glean from a public video. So, you publish a video that still looks awesome but is 15 years out of date. Useless to the competition. Still makes everyone feel swell. Same thing happens today...that and subtle disinformation campaigns inserted into these videos. It is not noticed by a casual watcher, but a competitor would be thrown out of kilter if they tried to follow the 'example'.
    Last edited by amuderick; 02-03-2009 at 03:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I wonder why it is only men who work the coating lines, etc. And only women working the packaging area? Maybe it was because of exposure of (potentially) pregnant woment to toxic chemicals? Or is that concept too advanced for the limited eco-awareness of the 1940s?

Regards - Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dyetransfer View Post
    I wonder why it is only men who work the coating lines, etc. And only women working the packaging area? Maybe it was because of exposure of (potentially) pregnant woment to toxic chemicals? Or is that concept too advanced for the limited eco-awareness of the 1940s?

Regards - Jim
    Jim;

All of the above. Today, AFAIK, men still predominate.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    PE,

The film shows some reasonably sophisticated control technology; I presume achieved with gearing and other electro-mechanical devices. Do you know when computers started to be integrated into the process control systems?

A surprising amount of control technology prior to computers used pneumatics. The last company I worked for had a line of pneumatic controllers that were still selling into the 1980s. We had one little gizmo that could output an air pressure equal to the square root of an input pressure! Pressures were on the order of 5 to 15 PSI.

Film makers might have embraced computerized stuff sooner than others, it was at least theoretically capable of higher precision. But as late as the 1970s and 80s, computer control was viewed with suspicion in many companies. Pneumatic and electro-mechanical systems had a reputation for being installed, tweaked, then running for twenty or thirty years, something even today's computerized systems struggle to do.

DaveT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We had air piped into all labs in KRL. The only equipment run by air pressure were mixers. We used tiny compressed air stirrers with prop mixers on them. They made a high pitched whining noise when at speed but did the typical putt-putt at low speeds. They were quite economical when doing multiple melts for coating. With 24 cans in the CTB and little tiny mixers over them, the lab sounded like it had a bad asthma attack.

Or a bunch of whining cats.

Larger scales used huge electric mixers, many with shrouds to prevent arcing when solvents were added.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format

Speculation

Quote Originally Posted by dyetransfer View Post

Regards - Jim
    Hi Jim-

Very perceptive. I was going to bring it up myself but you got there first

First, if you think in terms of evolution, the men problably designed and built, then helped design and had built, the complicated machines and thus had a deeper knowledge of their functioning. The other stages, esp. packaging labeling etc. were even done using children in the good old days! I can imagine that perhaps the level of compentency required and the cost of a mistake, was lower in post production stages... and there is no certainity that the wages were the same either, so there might have been economic reasons at play too.

I have seen this division of labor transend political, economic, linguistic and geographic borders. There seems to be a heavy concentration of women in post sensitization phases, with perhaps more men in research.
    German, Dutch, British, Japanese and American companies all hired women to do much of the routine repetitive chores (actually I don't have enough information on what the men in these companies actually did; in any case, it seemed the companies hired more women than men, true or not)

[Seeing this for the first time is a real shocking eye-opener to the naive passer-by. I first had this awkward feeling upon visiting NY's 47th St. Photo (many years ago) where it seemed every employee belonged to the same relegion; not that that implies necessarilly some specfic impropriety, but it does beg the question: What, they don't hire non-followers?]

Jim, what was the male:female ratio you experienced first hand in your own visits?
    Last edited by Ray Rogers; 02-03-2009 at 06:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks Sal, great show !
    It reminded me of so many photographic things when I started in photography as a 10 year old, back in the early 60's.

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by amuderick View Post
    Could they have been discussing using radioactive alpha emitters to remove static electricity from the acetate roll before coating?
    No. They were discussing the testing of air for radioactive particles.
    Last edited by Ray Rogers; 02-03-2009 at 06:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin