Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,068   Online: 928

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    The only equipment run by air pressure were mixers.
    How was emulsion moved around the lab, to and from de-aeriation, and to the coating heads?

With 24 cans in the CTB
    CTB?

Larger scales used huge electric mixers, many with shrouds to prevent arcing when solvents were added.
    Could you say a bit more on this?
    Do you mean the solvents might catch fire?

I have observed underwater arcing? sparking? once or twice when "bumping" the heating/mixing equipment... I was quite surprised!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ray;

I moved the emulsion by cart in 1 L - 20 L containers with light-tight covers. What?

CTB = Constant Temperature Bath.

Solvents can catch fire due to arcing in electric and electronic equipment. So yes, there was a potential hazard. The mixer motor was above the solution. It cannot be below or it would short out.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks, interesting to see how its done.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hi Ray - when I visited Fotokemika in Croatia, there was about a 50:50 mix of men and women working. The emulsion chemist was a woman, the coating engineer was a man, two women did all the mixing and chemistry work, young men clambered all over the coating machine in the dark looping up the emulsion on the dryer, and a mix of men and women worked the slitting boxing and inspection area.

Regards - Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dyetransfer View Post
    Hi Ray - when I visited Fotokemika in Croatia, there was about a 50:50 mix of men and women working. The emulsion chemist was a woman, the coating engineer was a man, two women did all the mixing and chemistry work, young men clambered all over the coating machine in the dark looping up the emulsion on the dryer, and a mix of men and women worked the slitting boxing and inspection area.

Regards - Jim
    Interesting. That sounds atypically well intergrated, but I guess we are missing data for the total numbers employed, rather than just what we have actually seen in pictures and first hand.

I wonder if there is more equality between the sexes in Croatia in general?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The film being spooled is Verichrome Pan. So this movie has to be made after the introduction of Verichrome Pan in 1957. Also, the emulsion of the film being loaded is grey, if it were Verichrome (ortho), it would be a bright magenta color.

So perhaps Kodak chose to use an absolutely obsolete coating machine for the part of the film that was "sensitive" to competitors. Or maybe they used more obsolete technology for Verichrome Pan, and saved the newer coating machines for the professional films? Or, since Verichrome Pan was by far the most popular film in 1957, they were using both old and new machines to make it, just for capacity reasons.

Interesting that the spooling machine is spooling either 620 or 616 size film. I suppose it would be easy to tell from the pattern of frame numbering.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
    I wonder if there is more equality between the sexes in Croatia in general?
    Generally in the East Bloc, gender equality was encouraged in professional and industrial spheres under Communism, so there is quite a large proportion of women in medicine, engineering, and the sciences compared to the West, but women were still expected to play a large role in raising children and in the household, so while there was equality in some spheres, it wasn't exactly universal.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Generally, Kodak was very sensitive to the positive mutagenic or teratogenic properties of some chemicals and so they were quite conservative. There were a lot of women managers and researchers. The Asst Dir of Res was a woman and quite a superb emulsion maker.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Asst Dir of Res was a woman and quite a superb emulsion maker.PE
    JS?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes. Judy!

Thinking it over, this requires a considerable effort on your part to just look up such trivia, whereas for me it is easy as I knew her personally.

PE
    Last edited by Photo Engineer; 02-05-2009 at 10:02 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Add a footnote

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin